Stuff not arriving in Royal Mail

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
I wonder if anyone knows where I stand on this in theory....

Ive had a few parcels go astray, we're talking non signed for and possibly signed for as well, but Im not so sure of this yet (a bit more time will confirm).

If parcels have been delivered to a wrong address, this is my suspicion, by the postman, where do I stand?

At the moment I am about to go round to two neighbouring properties asking if they have my parcels. If they have, and give them to me, great, shame they'd sat on them for two weeks if so and not given them back to the postman.

But, if neither neighbour says he's had anything but the postman confirms he delivered to one of those two addresses what then, what if the person denies it after having that information?? What do I do?? ...any advice?

I ask as if I had mail to my address which isnt mine I give it back to the postman or take it round to the sorting office, or if I recognise the address Id probably just pop it round.

Comments

• jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I may have just conjured this up from info (probably lies) that I've read on this very forum, but I recall that the company you ordered from are responsible for the item until you've taken delivery of it. I would contact them in the first instance.

I had a similar issue with Wiggle (no don't blame them) last year when a package took quite a while to arrive (very un-Wiggle like). They said I should contact them after the 10th working day has passed and then they will investigate/ship another. It arrived the next day anyway.

Not sure where you'd stand if it was an individual who sent it. Probably screwed....

If the parcels were shipped Royal Mail then you could try asking at the local Post Office. If the Post Man screwed up then have a word with the local Post Master - there's got to be some kind of insurance/procedure for this.

Hope you get it sorted.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    My experience is that the SENDER is the one that has to complain/chase/claim whatever. The Royal Mail wouldn't even speak to me (sensibly) when I, as the RECEIVER complained and enquired about non-receipt. I was told to go back to the SENDER.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,259
    Yep, if it hasn't arrived in reasonable time contact the sender. (I'm a courier).
  • mfin
    Gonna visit the neighbours when they get back from work as noones there at the moment. Will stir things up a bit.... or hopefully they'll say sorry and hand them over... its either this or after 10 years ive had 4 packages go missing in one week.... I have checked and I do have a new postman.

If it turns out no-one owns up and tomorrow I find that postman has delivered to one of the 2 neighbours then I wont be happy!!! ...I'll be almost as furious as I am with Van Halen reforming with a bass player that looks like he has no place in a rock band, let alone a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WfQ-hV3WtA (no excuse being EVH's son)
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    The other responders are correct, the sender has to fill out a form saying where and when the item was posted and what it looked like. Royal mail will then have a look at the sorting offices along the route to see if it's fallen down the back of a cupboard. If they can't find it, after something like 30 days (can't remember exactly) the sender can then claim compensation from Royal mail - the amount depends on whether "proof of posting" was obtained, whether it was a tracked item and whether additional insurance was taken out.
  • Royal Mail provide a safe-haven for thieves ime but it is down to your sender to deal with it.
  • I had a non-delivery in November from a well-known on-line retailer. As previously stated you are expected to wait ten working days before reporting the failure. The second delivery was prompt and I was very happy to find, instead of the Zaffiro tyres ordered they sent me Randonneurs :) I have the latter on the tourer at present but the others were at such a good price I couldn't justify the extra expense. So I am a satisfied customer with no complaint!

About a month later I have had a form from Royal Mail asking about the original (non) delivery. As all correspondence with the on-line retailer is by e-mail I could check the records and provide the dates required. Considering the volume of transactions R M does a good job but one 'fail' is always one too many.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    I had two non deliveries before Christmas, one from Amazon and one from PBK both sorted it out for me. I also sent a snot-o-gram to the RM for good measure!
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • mfin
    Well, I'll post back, I've just jumped off the turbo and am gonna go knocking doors :) ...it is annoying as one of the items is a rear light, and i sort of need that for cycling in the evenings!