Recommend me some good foam grips, pleeeaase!

buzz1
buzz1 Posts: 374
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Can anyone recommend some good foam grips, preferably lock-ons, as my current superstars are making my hands go numb!
Oh, by the way they must be compatible with carbon bars :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Crank Bros make lock on foam grips.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    I know a lot of people that like the ESI grips:

http://www.esigrips.com/

Not bad for price either.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Posh Bikes Nitrile are good for a tenner.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Posh Bikes Nitrile are good for a tenner.

This, I've got them on the Karma. They actually feel really good and last ages, even riding in the wet.

Posbikes are a terrible company to try and buy from (when compared to other online bike shops) but as I understand it, they're in the process of coming up with a proper site.
    I should add the service is excellent, it's just the site that's rubbish.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Depends how fat you like your foam grips. PB Nitrile and ESI grips are the chunkiest / comfiest and ones I still use having gone through umpteen variants, still a bit weedy if you like firm, fat, vibration damping, padded grips tho.

Best thing I ever did was get some of that white 5mm polyethylene foam protective packaging stuff and stuck a layer round the bars (double sided sticky tape to hold in place) and a quick spiral wrap of electrical tape over the top so you can get ESI grips over the top and in place (isopropyl alcohol and they slip over nicely). They don't move once they've dried and are the most absorbent and comfortable grip combination I've ever used. Well worth the effort.

One of them where I was left scratching my head wondering WTF I hadn't done it years ago.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Avenir AGG407's identical to Titec porkrinds or KCNC (except for colour/logo) but mine only set me back £7.50.....not lockon though.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • d00m
    d00m Posts: 160
    Ritchey truegrip on ebay for under 7 quid. Cant go wrong!
  • Regarding the Crank Bros lock-on foam grips - I bought a pair. They are reasonably comfy, but no more so really than my Lizard Skin Chargers. But what let down the Crank Bros ones was the lock on mechanism - it is the worst I have come across. The screw threads are fragile and I couldn't tighten them up enough to stop the grips twisting.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds par for the course for Crank Bros stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Well, I've just received some superstar Excel Grips..

Big n chunky... makes you feel like your riding a real mans bike ;)

Super comfy too, even though they are rubber and not foam..
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    May be other reasons why your hands are going numb anyway and foam may not help. You could solve the problem with different gloves instead, or changing the riding position, lever positions, and how you brake & hold the grips.

Crank Bros - no comment (grumble, grumble).