Opinions please - cracked carbon frame

trail jacker
trail jacker Posts: 844
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

About 5 months ago I bought a carbon 456 frame from a seller on here, it was barely use and in great nick.
The other day I noticed a crack has developed, stemming from the slit in the seat-tube.

imag0559i.jpg
imag0560k.jpg
I know the diagnosis isn't good, and I emailed On-One yesterday for advice but they are being frustratingly slow to respond.

As a student I cant afford a new frame, and I was wondering what the best thing to do to prolong the life of the frame would be.

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Looks suspiciously like an overtightened seatpost. Not great.
  • Is there anything I can do to prolong the frames life?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and that is why you should not have all the splits lined up. looks like you have had the insert/the frame and the clamp lined up.

bad move.

use till it fails as it will.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • is it worth filling in the crack with nail polish to seal it up? And would it help is I run the clamp the other way round?
  • nicklouse
    is it worth filling in the crack with nail polish to seal it up?
    makes no difference really.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Well is it worth repairing it? I know you can buy carbon repair kits for around £30 but would it be worth it?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nail polish is a really bad idea, you don't want acetone wicking into the carbon, epoxy resin (the same stuff that is there already) may help though......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    See what On-One say. Try their twitter account, might get a reply from them quicker than email. Seems to depend when they guy is reading the account though.

twitter.com/ononebikes
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Nail polish is a really bad idea, you don't want acetone wicking into the carbon, epoxy resin (the same stuff that is there already) may help though......

Simon

Are you thinking of nail polish remover? I know that contains acetone, but wouldn't of thought it'd be present in the polish.
    sure i've read somewhere else that on one themselves advised using polish.
    Not that im an expert on nail polish btw :D
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nail polish isn't going to help structurally anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Well I have used nail polish before as recommended by the tech guys at On-One to seal a scrape on a chainstay to prevent water ingress, I know it structurally wont help but it would waterproof the fibres to prevent swelling through water exposure.

Cheers for all the responses!
  • Why not just wrap it in carbon and resin? it'll not be perfect or aesthetically pleasing but it will reinforce the area.

Experience: Motorcycle body work - non structural though!
    The Frog: Lapierre Zesty 214 2010 - Upgraded - W.I.P
  • Something like this... http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/products/ca ... r-kit.aspx ...?

Would applying resin alone be enough to reinforce the area or not?
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Get on twitter, Brant seems to spend most of his day on there (as does Cy from Cotic though....)

Not tried it with him, but after issues with the last 3 orders I've placed with Superstar, mentioning them on twitter got a response a damn sight quicker than waiting for them to answer the bloody phone.
  • Something like this... http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/products/ca ... r-kit.aspx ...?

Would applying resin alone be enough to reinforce the area or not?

Not really, resin is used to bond, carbon is used to give structure.

Mate, all you need is some carbon fibre matting which can be purchased from ebay and the suitable resin+hardener. Then a pair of latex gloves and a chemically neutral squeegee to remove air bubbles. should work a treat.

P.s if the crack appears to be spreading in any direction drill a very very small pilot hole at either end to stop it growing when the frame flexes and ensure any carbon repair goes well beyond this point, and fills the hole on the inside if possible.
    The Frog: Lapierre Zesty 214 2010 - Upgraded - W.I.P
  • Ok, I will wait to hear back from on-one first before I try the carbon repair method!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you are doing that, I would get a bigger seatpost clamp and put it on before the resin cures, so you have a standard clamp size post at the end of it, or you will be trying to find one to fit your 'lump'.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    DodgeT wrote:

Simon

Are you thinking of nail polish remover? I know that contains acetone, but wouldn't of thought it'd be present in the polish.
    sure i've read somewhere else that on one themselves advised using polish.
    Not that im an expert on nail polish btw :D
    What do you think evaporates out the polish as it dries.....acetone, that's why the stuff works to make it liquid again so it can be cleaned off! My interest is purely practical by the way!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Ah, I see :)
  • JD_76
    JD_76 Posts: 236
    Was thinking about this one last night, you could cut off the top of the seat tube completely just underneath the crack - then cut a new slot and maybe sand in a new recess for the clamp to sit on.

Just a thought.
  • JD_76
    JD_76 Posts: 236
    JD_76 wrote:
    Was thinking about this one last night, you could cut off the top of the seat tube completely just underneath the crack - then cut a new slot and maybe sand in a new recess for the clamp to sit on.

Just a thought.

Maybe a last resort option.
  • nicklouse
    JD_76 wrote:
    JD_76 wrote:

Just a thought.

Maybe a last resort option.
    but dont as the "tube" is not really a tube but have varying thickness also it is most likely there will not be enough length.

just spin the shim and clamp around and carry on using.
  • Yeah the thickness of the 'tube' massively increases just below the crack, which is why (presumably) the crack has forked laterally. The shim is fairly well lodged in, so I'm going to take it to my lbs to see if they can remove it, then I will buy a 30.9mm seatpost and run the clamp the other way round until I can get it professionally repaired near Easter time.
    On-one replied this morning and said since I bought it second hand the wont replace it, and the crack is my fault for running a shim, which is what I was expecting them to say.

Cheers for all the responses by the way, very helpful and much appreciated.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    and the crack is my fault for running a shim
    Don't want to be a general after war, but you could have bought the proper seatpost if you already got carbon frame...
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • Well yes, but I am a student and was penny pinching a bit at the time since I had to get my forks serviced, get a reducer headset and get a new BB all at the same time as the frame, so a £2.50 shim seemed more attractive than a £20 seatpost. Plus I didn't know it would increase the stress when clamped.

Hindsight is a b*tch!