Wheel advice needed

saltydog
saltydog Posts: 36
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
I currently have Fulcrum Racing 7s on my Wilier. I want to upgrade like the Kinetic aero 1s, are these a good upgrade. I ride approx 80-120 weekly.

Thank you in advance
Willier Triestina
Spesh (winter)

Comments

• Handbuilt Open Pro's in 3...2...1...
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    SaltyDog - my willier came with R7's - I jumped to R1's and they are brilliant, but Shamal Ultras are the best all rounders for me
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    BONKSTRONG wrote:
    Handbuilt Open Pro's in 3...2...1...
    not a bad idea.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Well the Kinetics actually appear ever so slightly heavier than the Racing 7's and the aero advantage of the 33mm rim is unlikely to be of any benefit (unless your 80-120 miles per week are at 20+mph). If the Racing 7's are true and spin well then i cant see much advantage other than the bling factor (which most of us will secretly admit is a consideration)

Personally i'd save up another £100 and then go for some Shimano RS80 C24's from Planet X (£300) or some nice hand builts as mentioned. There's a noticable difference in feel between a 1900g wheelset and a 1500g wheelset (I have both) - rotating mass is the most noticable part of a bike's weight and the further out, the bigger the effect.
  • Thanks all I am going to keep the 7s for wee while longer and some handbuilts at a later date
    Willier Triestina
    Spesh (winter)