Ticketmaster are w@nk

jzed
jzed Posts: 2,926
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
So 10am arrives I select 2 tickets for the London prepares.

Obstacle 1 - trying to work out what the two words are, 10 attempts later I have secured my two tickets, select deliver, press continue

Obstacle 2 - site fecks up back to start no tickets.

Given the feck up for the Olmpics they should be hung out to dry

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Bad time to let you know I'm going? :P
  • jzed
    Sites working perfectly now - to tell you there are no fecking tickets.

Fortunately a mate managed to get a spare to Thursday night.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    don't ever start me on the whole ticket thing.

Can anyone explain how it is right that if you can only purchase something from ticketmaster, no other way, and therefore have to pay their fees, then how can the ticket be advertised as say £20? I have to pay 24.50 or whatever, to get hold of it, so that should be the listed price.....I have no choice, or no option to by it at the £20 face value.....

if there is a way of getting it for 20 - turning up in person at the box office say - then different issue, but I have definitely come across events where ticketmaster is the only source.....

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • +1 spent last 40 minutes - no tickets available - was there any in the first place ?? did anyone get any this am ?
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    PBo wrote:
    don't ever start me on the whole ticket thing.

Can anyone explain how it is right that if you can only purchase something from ticketmaster, no other way, and therefore have to pay their fees, then how can the ticket be advertised as say £20? I have to pay 24.50 or whatever, to get hold of it, so that should be the listed price.....I have no choice, or no option to by it at the £20 face value.....

if there is a way of getting it for 20 - turning up in person at the box office say - then different issue, but I have definitely come across events where ticketmaster is the only source.....

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

This gets me too. Ticketmaster are like Ryanair with their added extras but they generally have a monopoly, you HAV to use them. The ridiculous thing is that their fees are not refundable either. A few years ago I booked 3 ticks to see Amy Winehouse and as per usual she cancelled at the last minute. Ticketmaster refunded the cost of the ticks minus their appox 6 quid per ticket fee. I phoned to complain to be told the 6 quid per ticket was to pay for their "services"... What services? They didn't even send the tickets out as she cancelled. So I was almost 20 quid down and Ticketmaster profits... kerching.... Is there any way to avoid availing myself of Ticketmaster's "services"?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Problem is when venues use ticketmaster as their only ticketing agent you have no other choice, the problems with the olympics I could see coming, lets just say I work in the industry and there are other companies that could have done better and in this country.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    [...]I phoned to complain to be told the 6 quid per ticket was to pay for their "services"... What services? They didn't even send the tickets out as she cancelled. So I was almost 20 quid down and Ticketmaster profits... kerching.... Is there any way to avoid availing myself of Ticketmaster's "services"?

I just find it galling that the booking fee is per ticket; it's not like it costs them any more to post 5 than 1. Robbing barstewards!
  • Paul E
    DrLex wrote:
    [...]I phoned to complain to be told the 6 quid per ticket was to pay for their "services"... What services? They didn't even send the tickets out as she cancelled. So I was almost 20 quid down and Ticketmaster profits... kerching.... Is there any way to avoid availing myself of Ticketmaster's "services"?

I just find it galling that the booking fee is per ticket; it's not like it costs them any more to post 5 than 1. Robbing barstewards!

You will find that anyway you do it, it's not just for postage, it's for the running of the whole company.

A per transaction/booking fee is all well and good but one customer might buy one/two tickets, the next 15, that one fee will cover the postage and then the wages of the person serving the person buying one or two but not the postage of the customer buying 15. Amazing how people can comment on an industry without any working knowledge of it.

No I don't work for ticketmaster, I just know a thing or two.
  • Paul E wrote:
    DrLex wrote:

You will find that anyway you do it, it's not just for postage, it's for the running of the whole company.

A per transaction/booking fee is all well and good but one customer might buy one/two tickets, the next 15, that one fee will cover the postage and then the wages of the person serving the person buying one or two but not the postage of the customer buying 15. Amazing how people can comment on an industry without any working knowledge of it.

I don't work for TM either, but I do work for a large online ticket retailer, where the booking fee is per transaction not per ticket, however many tickets there are in the shopping basket. IMHO thats only fair, it costs no more to process one ticket than it does to do 10. And the postage costs on 10 are really no more than those on 1. What galls me is that TM and others like them (SeeTickets for example) charge a collection fee even when you print the ticket out yourself (and no, we don't do that). EasyJet, RyanAir and the like set a precedent that many others copied even though there is little justification in most cases for the exorbitant fees.

And wages have nothing to do with it... these systems are fully automated, what costs the money is the investment in the technology behind the system and the call centre to support customers that don't want to buy online. For 95% of all transactions no humans involved (and in my case thats over 120,000 tickets a day).

However to even the discussion up, remember TM aren't selling their own product (unlike EasyJet etc) so we don't know what the margin/commission is. That £20 ticket might have zero margin so all their costs have to be met out of the booking fee (not that I'm justifying the fee per ticket issue). If you factor in that a typical customer support call costs about £10 to handle and maybe there's a hit rate of 1 call in 50 sales and the cost per transaction of a typical system of that nature is maybe £1 - 1.50 per transaction and the credit card servicing of a £50 transaction is around £1.50 then £3 service fee per sale isn't unreasonable (not per ticket I agree).
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    edited February 2012
    After the last fiasco I learnt my lesson and started checking for tickets at 9:55. By 9:59 they'd come on line and I easily managed to purchase 2 tickets for the Saturday morning session. Job done.

@JZed: PIBCAC :twisted:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,771
    I have no issue with a company making money. But if they are the only outlet the advertised price should be the price you pay. If there is an alternative that doesn't involve the fee, then fine.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Loving the irony :lol:
    FCN 2 to 8
  • jzed
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    After the last fiasco I learnt my lesson and started checking for tickets at 9:55. By 9:59 they'd come on line and I easily managed to purchase 2 tickets for the Saturday morning session. Job done.

@JZed: PIBCAC[/ulr] :twisted:

I was on as soon as they went live, I had them in my basket, I was selecting the delivery, pressed next and it broke, by which point someone else had MY tickets.

Add to that only getting fecking dressage at the Olympics, no 6 nations tickets in the ballot, no cup final tickets, I'm not a happy bunny.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Mr Plum wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Loving the irony :lol:
    Bah.

Got to admit, its quite entertaining.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Paul E wrote:
    [...] Amazing how people can comment on an industry without any working knowledge of it.

Yet I'm struggling to think of other operations where p&p charges relate directly to quantity rather than weight. This forum would be pretty quiet if one was required to have good knowledge or expertise before being qualified to post.
    Lighten up, Francis!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I bought tickets to The Levellers in Manchester last year through Ticketmaster. The tickets never arrived, and Ticketmaster didn't want to know. I didn't get to see The Levellers or get my money back.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Agent57 wrote:
    I bought tickets to The Levellers in Manchester last year through Ticketmaster. The tickets never arrived, and Ticketmaster didn't want to know. I didn't get to see The Levellers or get my money back.
    Did you buy them on a credit card?
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Possibly, can't recall. It was ages ago now though (12/11/2010), so probably a bit late to try claiming back that way. I should have thought of that in March...
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • I'd say you have nothing to lose by chasing this. I think it is section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 that makes the CC company 'jointly and severally liable'. But is only for purchases over £100 (so not sure if you'd be covered if this was multiple tickets each under £100 - not sure if it would be the transaction or the individual tickets that this limit would apply to). I think you have 6 years to claim.

It would be worth contacting your CC company, mentioning section 75 and asking for a written response to your request for a refund of charges. If they refuse to refund, then I presume you should approach the FOS with the CC company's written response.

Don't be intimidated by the idea of approaching FOS, they pride themselves on being user friendly. I'm sure their customer service section would also provide more information on how to pursue such a dispute at this stage (and tell you if it might fall under section 75) if you rang them.

If the purchase is under £100, then it may be worth pursuing a 'chargeback', but that isn't as straightforward normally.
  • Its the whole transaction, unless the goods were shipped in part. In this case it would be the whole transaction as the tickets didn't arrive.

See here for more info
  • Paul E
    Not all companies are automated upto the hilt, you have to know that fact, so there is a human in the chain at more than one point especially if there is no envelope stuffing machine. It depends on your volume of post though.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    So are any of you actually going to this?