First bike upgrade, advice needed

benno the red
benno the red Posts: 84
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all

Looking to upgrade my Spesh Secteur Triple over the next few weeks but not sure which way to go . Do i stick with Alu or go for the full carbon.Either way Im looking at better groupsets / wheels than what i have now
The prob is i am around 16.5st so a big ol unit and slightly concerned as to being too lardy for full carbon

So ive narrowed it down to the following four

Spesh Secteur Comp , 105 sticking with alu ( £1200 ish

Spesh Roubaix Elite , 105 go for the carbon ( 2011 still avail for £1400)

Cannodale Synapse 105 in alu or carbon (£1100 - 1600)

Any advice from anyone who has any of the above or is a big mucker like me riding carbon would be apprecited

Budget wise i reckon i got max 1500 depending on how quickly i want a divorce..

(Mods , Yes i posted this in Road Buying Advice thread also but not much response so ive dropped it in here as well , hope thats ok )

Comments

• If I had the dosh I would go for the Roubaix (I have Sectuer Elite Apex and love it but hancker after a Roubaix Carbon) - I am way way heavier than you and asked my Spesh Concept Store if their bikes have weight limits and they don't but you should ask specifcally about carbon seatposts and stems/bars as they may.

Hope this helps
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Take a look at the Giant defy, and Giant defy composite as alternatives to the Secteur and roubaix... this year's Secteur doesn't get very good reviews. http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-specialized-secteur-elite-12-45863

It might also be worth looking into stiffer framed bikes? The secteur and roubaix (and a lot of the more relaxed geometry bikes) are designed to be relatively un-stiff for lighter riders

i can't imagine any frames having weight limits though, or at least low limits (like sub 20st)
  • I own a secteur triple and love it to bits. That being said I don't think I would buy another one higher up the range if I had £1.5K to play with. I certainly wouldn't buy a full price Spesh bike either - they appear pretty overpriced although you can get a good deal.

If you like the frame I think you can pick up an older (new) 105 groupset for c. £300 from Merlin and I am informed you can get handbuilt wheels for around £200 or an Easton EA30 set for c £300. Your LBS would probably be willing to slap the bits onto your frame for c £100 and you would need to budget for new bar tape. I caveat this though by stating I know nothing about bikes and replacing components other than what t'internet and mags have told me.

I am a 'heavier' rider too. There was an article in one of the mags last year around this subject featuring ex-England rugby players (Mark Regan, Nigel Redman and Victor Ubugo) who tipped the scales at up to 18st. The writer suggested frames were never likely to be a problem but that wheels might be. If you get some made they would be specced for you.

I am not sure if they are still available but on a bike buying expedition with a friend after xmas Edinburgh cycles were knocking out 2011 Tarmac SL for £1100 which IIRC was around £600 off normal price.

Happy shopping and enjoy your purchase.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Why don't you test ride the 'better spec' Secteur and a Roubaix. unless you notice a big difference between these - as suggested above - buy a better groupset and some nice wheels for your bike and save yourself £700
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Lads , thanks for all the advice

it looks i am leaning towards the carbon option so Spesh Roubaix or the Synapse both with 105

probably going to test one of each first and take it from there

Any Synapse riders out there wanna throw in there tuppence worth ?

benno

I
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd vote for the Synapse, it's prettier than the Roubaix.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I have agonised over upgrading my alu 105 Spesh Secteur Comp - the only bike I have ever had. I started out on it when I was 17st and now weigh 13st a year later.

Honestly, I think unless you're racing or have lots of spare cash, just stick with an aluminium 105. It's durable, reliable and does the job pretty good. Also, when you crash (we all do sooner or later), the alu frame will fare better and be cheaper to fix if the groupset gets knocked.

No offense, but a carbon ultegra dream-machine will make you go 2-3% faster, losing 4 stones will make you go 20% faster, and I know which I'd take any day.

So, as I said I agonised over wanting to upgrade for months, and am lucky enough to have cash spare to buy pretty much any bike I wanted, but as I dont race I decided to just stick with my hardy, trusty alu 105 Spesh Secteur Comp.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Take a look at the Giant defy, and Giant defy composite as alternatives to the Secteur and roubaix... this year's Secteur doesn't get very good reviews. http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-specialized-secteur-elite-12-45863

The one thing I would say about Bikeradar and their magazines, is that they do seem to have a bit of a downer on Sportive-style bikes in this price range (the Synapse also got a weakish review recently, but they love the more racy CAAD 10).

My suspicion is that it's not because these are bad bikes, but because the testers are generally experienced riders / racers rather than the more reserved and refined sportive-types (i.e. bigger and less fit) such as myself. Naturally, the racers will prefer a racier geometry and bike, whereas I want something a bit more upright. It's horses for courses.

And as you asked, I have a 105 Alu Synapse (2011 edition) and I absolutely love it. My mate has a Secteur, which I've ridden, and there really isn't much in it. I just happen to marginally prefer the Synapse. He's a big Spesh fan and prefers the Secteur. I don't think you can go wrong with either really...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Lads , thanks for all the comments and advice , just gotta save up the readies now!