Beginner trying to make sense of all info

ivanyv
ivanyv Posts: 4
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

A bit of history first :)

A few years ago, some pals and I went on a 2 day bike trip. I took my cheapo bike and off we went at noon. We arrived at our first checkpoint at about 1 AM the next day... with my ass on fire. I have to mention none of us had any real experience mountain biking or even on the road (lots of mishaps).

Next day was about 8 hours more, and good thing my ass developed some kind of protective shell or something as I didn't feel a thing, hehe

Even with the pains, it was one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life, and I want to do it again.

Only this time I want a better bike. So I've been reading through this site and these forums, but it's a lot of information to digest, so if I give you a couple guidelines, could you point me to the information I need to read or some suggestions to make my selection?

So, the trips I like include both the smooth road and mountain, but the mountain on the light side, no crazy drops or anything like that :)

So I think I need performance on smooth roads, be able to take to the hills, and a comfortable ride for long hours.

I'm also partial to folding bikes, and I particularly like the Montague X70.

I'd really appreciate any input you might have.

Thanks!

Comments

• Oh, forgot to mention, I like to pack for camping out, so any related gear that might make my life easier while hauling all that stuff would be cool too!
  • I'd say your not really lookin for a MTB, but more of a Hybrid/ tourer. I'm not really clued up on them though, so can't offer too much advice, sorry.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Agreed, you don't want an MTB for what you say, you want either a flat barred hybrid, one which will take wider tyres for your small off road forays, or possible a crosser.

Full sized folders tend to be very compromised, you loose stiffness and add weight, even more so on full sized bikes.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Specialized Tricross, Blackburn MTN rack for your luggage, Brooks saddle for your ischial area. Mile after comfortable mile on or off road. Also some Kool-stop brake blocks so your rims last, and the fork crown hanger for the front brake if it doesn't come with the bike.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd go for a rugged MTB style 'hybrid' or a XC MTB hardtail. I'd avoid that fold up bike, is heavy, underspecced and grossly overpriced.

I'd look at something like this:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65499#tab1

Great spec, lightweight and will take more knobbly, larger tyres if you need them.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Unless you are desperate for a folding bike that Montague X70 is seriously rubbish for the price. Cut a grand off and it might make sense.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Wow, so much great info! Thanks for saving me from making a mistake, I was almost in love with that folding bike!

I'm reading up on your suggestions, thanks again.