Internal Upgrade for 302 Domains?

VoltageFR
VoltageFR Posts: 4
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey all.

Friend has offered me some 2009? Rock Shox Domain 302's (red ones). Currently the only adjustments you can make are which spring it runs and the rebound speed. If it's cheaper than buying new forks, are there any damper systems that would be able to fit in, in place of what is already there? Ideal would like to have at least a compression adjustment along side the rebound adjuster. MoCo assembly from a Domain 318?

I'm wondering since both stanchion sizes are the same, if the internals from a Lyrik would just drop straight in, providing they are the same diameter and have the same travel (I think the Domain's he has have 35mm stanchions and 160mm travel).

Is this possible or am I just a bit of a dafty?
The correct number of bikes you should own is derived from the following equation,

Number of bikes owned = n+1, where "n" is the number of bikes currently owned.

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Don't think the Lyrik internals will fit, there was a thread on mtbr about modding domains (318), removing the speed stack to give better small bump sensitivity.

I have 160mm 318 and may do this mod one day.

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspensio ... 31605.html
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Lyrik stanchion wall is thicker as is alu, so their internals will not fit.

You need one of these:

http://www.fisheroutdoor.co.uk//product ... esc=domain
  • Thanks guys. Would I be correct in thinking that a Domain travel adjust coil would fit in instead of the standard fixed coil?
    The correct number of bikes you should own is derived from the following equation,

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yup.

But on the other hand, once you buy all these parts that'll be a decent contribution towards the price of a u-turn Lyrik, which knock spots off a 318 Domain. If you already had the 302s, it might make sense. But buying then spending more on upgrades? Not wise IMO.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Northwind wrote:
    Yup.

But on the other hand, once you buy all these parts that'll be a decent contribution towards the price of a u-turn Lyrik, which knock spots off a 318 Domain. If you already had the 302s, it might make sense. But buying then spending more on upgrades? Not wise IMO.

X2 :wink:
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Yeah that's what I'm thinking. He's giving me them with a Santa Cruz frame I'm buying so not paying a whole deal for them, just like £50. So far everything looks like it'll come to about £55 for the U-Turn spring, £70? for the compression assembly and £40-50 for the forks themselves. So no more than £200 in total I think.

• Hi,

I recently did the same upgrade to my Domain R's that you are looking to do for the 302's - I think these forks are similar, just the 302's a bit older? It may well be the exact same damper.

I spoke to TFtuned and they ordered the above damper and a dial for me - came to about £100 total. It just dropped straight in to the fork. The oil levels were already correct for my model, but you would have to check for yours. Fantastic upgrade considering I didnt want to replace the whole fork just now.

FYI: the above damper link does not include the adjustment dial to go on top - this is a separate (overpriced!) item.

Whatever you decide to purchase I really suggest you phone TFtuned. They were really helpful and the items I ordered arrived 48 hours later, even though they had to go to their suppliers to get the damper. Great service!

David