drop in average speed riding in the dark

Danny M
Danny M Posts: 132
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
does any one find there average speed drops riding at night with lights on?
would 1-2mph drop in average speed seem ok?
riding with lights in the dark is new to me

Comments

• You are bound to be more cautious when its dark, your options are go all out for a decent light or take it slowly
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    even the best light is not as good as daylight prefectly ok to go a bit slower

remember don't be afraid of the Dark be afraid of the things the hide within the darkness :D as I like to say to my children
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • Just curious if this was pitch black country roads, or urban cycling? Dropping avg speed makes sense, especially if you can only see as far as your lights shine.
    Go for the break
    Create a chaingang
    Make sure you don't break your chain
  • Danny M
    Danny M Posts: 132
    It was 20% lit roads and 80% unlit
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Danny M wrote:
    It was 20% lit roads and 80% unlit

i'd expect to lose more than this as a percentage. generally ride between 12-15 mph in the dark and 15-18 daylight. 20% or so drop.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • No need for any reduction in urban darkness, I ride 3 mornings a week from 5.30-6.00 onwards and have no difference. Think its more a question of getting used to it and not allowing your imagination to run riot!
    'I started with nothing and still have most of it left.'
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Nik Cube wrote:
    even the best light is not as good as daylight prefectly ok to go a bit slower

remember don't be afraid of the Dark be afraid of the things the hide within the darkness :D as I like to say to my children

edit: *NM*
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I generally slow down a bit on descents which drops the average speed a bit, no real need to slow down on the flat/climbs though
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    The flip side of this - you're confidence and road handling skills will improve over time, and ultimately your speed/efficiency should increase too. Particularly when riding in daylight.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I find I'm slower in winter than summer (denser air, bulky clothing, longer to warm up, wet / icy roads etc) but no difference between daylight and night riding.

I think that's because
    a) I have a fairly good front light,
    b) it isn't especially mountainous round here so I'm not doing the kind of alpine descents that require being able to see the road half a mile ahead
    c) I'm not exactly Wiggins fast by daylight