Long Distance XC racing tyres

bobgfish
bobgfish Posts: 545
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello

Looking for the impossible. Something fast and reliable for 10 days of racing over unkown terrian but looks like a mix of roads, fireroads, farm tracks and technical single trail. I'd like them to be reliable but of course not to heavy. Currently running 2.35 Maxxis High rollers which are just to slow on the flat and to heavy. Thinking of moving down to a 2.1 and something within the Maxxis range but anything considered.

Thanks

Comments

• These any good to you?
    link
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Maxxis Crossmarks sound like they could do the job?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I run Specialized fast trak lk in a control or sworks spec they are tubeless ready and pretty good. I've done a few 10+hr rides on them. You could look at the renegade's too if the weather is dryer.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Racing Ralphs.
  • bobgfish
    Specialized fast trak lk in a control or sworks spec

Any idea on weights?
    Maxxis Crossmarks sound like they could do the job?

Are high up the list. (was also looking at Aspen). Already got some 2.1 Maxxis Advantage tyres coming too but thinking they may be a little slow for roads and fire roads.
    Racing Ralphs

Lots of people seem to love or hate these espically mixed a Nobby Nic. Never tried them but cautious becuase of such comments.
  • ive used crossmark 2.1s and schwalbe racing ralphs 2.1s. crossmark is great for all round xc riding as is the RR however i feel the RRs seem to be able to cope with more mud and are therefore for me a more all round general tyre that i use all year round, except for really bad racing then its 1.8 mud tyres hahaha so id go for schwalbe RRs front and rear or if you want somthing a little more grippy but still fast then a nobily nick upfront witha RR in the rear would still be great! some think the schwalbe range are a little fragile though, side walls on normal versions can get ripped by slate so id go for the side wall protection type if you can! there quite expensive but you get what you pay for! my RRs have lasted at least 3000 miles this year over all sorts of stuff and are still in pretty good shape so money well spent in my books, i will buy another pair of these next time! :D
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    I'd go the tougher Nobby's as well, but haven't tried a million tyres, these seem to tackle most environments quite well though while being pretty light.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,664
    I use:-

F - Aspen , R - Crossmark in the dry
    F - ADvantage, R - High Roller - in the wet

(and Bonty Mud-X in the proper gloop, and 2.3 Ardent/Crossmark/HR in big mountains but you dont want them)

Almost all the Dutchies use Schwalbe Tyres for their marathons (and all their other rides). I think you ll have to balance toughness and grip with rolling resistance (as always i suppose), are you riding on fireroads or is it all singletrack, is it one massive climb followed by one massive alpine decent for example. Remember that a time gain of 2 mins a day from rolling resistance won't be much good if you have to mend 5 punctures everyday...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • njee20
    Not a big fan of Nobby Nics. They're heavier than Ralphs, with exactly the same tread on the shoulders, but still crap in mud. Ralphs are a good '3 season' tyre, and Nics aren't a winter tyre.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maxxis Ignitors, Exception (soft) series. Although I seem to be in a minority of one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    If I were looking for the same, I would go for conti xking in protection flavour. Fast, pretty grippy in most conditions, and the protection toughens them up alot for not alot of extra weight. Does depend on the weather though. If it was gonna be muddy I would always sacrifice rolling speed for grip.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Controls are 515g each (so a little heavier than the racing ralphs of the same size) S-works are a bit lighter. I know Spesh tyres have an avg rating, but these are very good for fast long distance riding.
  • njee20
    I don't like the Fast Traks, just not very grippy considering their weight. Sauserwinds are alright, but no better.
  • bobgfish
    Well think I've decided on a Maxxis Aspen for the front and a Maxxis Crossmark for the rear. Will send back the Advantage's I brought.

Anyone think I should something else just in case it rains? Whats a good bail out set or just in case set?
  • njee20
    For mud?

Dirty Dans are good, light and fast, but nice and grippy.
  • bobgfish
    Tyres ordered.

Aspen and Crossmark in lightweight versions. As well as an Advantage and High Roller in light versions (Got these two tyres in big fat heavy versions allready). Will be usefull if I get there and it rains all week.

Thanks all.