Garmin 500 HRM query

wardieboy
wardieboy Posts: 230
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
Apologies in advance for the noobish questions but the Garmin 500 manual does not provide much detail...

Does anyone know if the Garmin 500 'learns' your heart rate zones through usage? I've worn the monitor for around six rides to collate some data. Looking at the rides the maximum rate I have reached is 198 bpm.

When looking at the HR zones on the 500 it has my maximum as 186 bpm - Is this a default calculation which is made when you perform the initial set up? Should I alter it to 198 bpm?

Also the resting heart rate setting on my 500 is blank - I assume I need to calculate this and enter it via Garmin Connect.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    Yes I think it works the theoretical max HR from the intial (age and gender) data.

You can manually enter min and max HR in Garmin connect, and alter your HR zones if required and upload them from Connect to the 500.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Either: Change your max heart rate to 198 in the Garmin and enter your resting hear rate, ideally taken first thing in the morning before you get out of bed.

Or, as Mike says, log onto the Garmin Connect website, enter your max and resting then tweak the zones as required before uploading them to your 500 from the website.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.