Upgrading a specialized hardrock

2»

Comments

• El Zomba
    El Zomba Posts: 164
    chez_m356 wrote:
    dont forget, if he wants to upgrade to discs he would need wheels with a disc hub too

Well caught! Totally forgot about that! :oops: I think we've managed to demonstrate how upgrading can quickly turn into a money-pit.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Recon is the one to go for at that price.
    dont forget, if he wants to upgrade to discs he would need wheels with a disc hub too

This is kinda what I am saying ;-). By the time you have bought the fork (125), wheels( 75) and brakes (100) you've spent 300 quid, and still have a basic drivetrain. For 500 can get the rockrider with this stuff on already.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    edited February 2012
    supersonic wrote:
    This is kinda what I am saying ;-). By the time you have bought the fork (125), wheels( 75) and brakes (100) you've spent 300 quid, and still have a basic drivetrain. For 500 can get the rockrider with this stuff on already.
    Damn, i new you were going to say that, and your right, best thing to do really is just use it, save your money and change stuff when it dies or buy a new bike, depends if he becomes a hopeless hardrock fan, just like some people are hopeless zaskar fans :lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • chez_m356
    El Zomba wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:

Well caught! Totally forgot about that! :oops: I think we've managed to demonstrate how upgrading can quickly turn into a money-pit.
    Your right there, its a bug that bites, i dont know how much ive spent on bits, things that have needed replacing and plenty that haven't, and i haven't finished yet, and then you start colour matching stuff, its not always about what you start with, but what you can make it into :wink:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Lol. Thing is their is nowt wrong with going the upgrade route if you plan it. Some bikes do have good specs, bit crap forks, and putting a new fork on makes a difference. But when you start adding all the bits up of a big change it can work out very expensive.

But yeah, is a learning curve!
  • I`ve learnt my lesson og going down the upgrading in the past.When I decided that it was time to upgrade my road bike last year I simply sold the old one and bought a secondhand one with a better spec.

The £500 that would have bought me a groupset instead bought me a carbon frame,better wheels and a better groupset! :D
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Well i currently have SR Suntour SF11's on it which ive heard are not very good, if theres no good forks i can get that are compatible with v's then i will just wait until i can afford both the forks and disc brakes. i mean i bought the bike a couple of weeks ago and its great, i love it, its just theres this part of me that just wants to get upgrading to better parts straight away ha, ive always been into biking but never really taken it that seriously, but with the purchase of this bike i think im going to get hooked on it. Im visiting some trails in surrey near guildford this weekend anyway, so i will put the bike to the test properly and see how i get on. Thanks for all the comments though so far everyone, u have been a great help, this forum seems really friendly and helpful!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's the best thing to do, just have fun. Worry about changing things when you know what you want.
    Where are you riding? Surrey Hills?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Or enjoy the bike you have now and rather than ploughing loads of cash into it, put that money away and save for a new bike
  • cooldad wrote:
    That's the best thing to do, just have fun. Worry about changing things when you know what you want.
    Where are you riding? Surrey Hills?

Yeah ive never been before,but ive heard its really good fun there and theres great trails there so me and a friend are going on saturday to leith hill? i think thats what its called
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Lots on Leith but it tends to be straight down, then back up again. Loads in the area though - Ranmore to the north, across to Holmbury Hill, Pitch Hill and Winterfold to the south.
    Huge area so unless you know your way around it's hard to find the decent trails.
    Have a look in London Calling in Rides - normally people riding there most weekends, and it's good to have a guide.
    Or just post when you'll be there and see if anyone can hook up.
    Great area to ride though - best riding south of Wales and real mountains.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    toastedone wrote:
    Or enjoy the bike you have now and rather than ploughing loads of cash into it, put that money away and save for a new bike

I'm doing this at the moment. Running my 2009 Trek 4500 that I've only upgraded the brakes on, keeping it looked after so nothing breaks and putting every spare penny I have away. The Dart fork on it isn't great, but it works and I can't see the point in pulling a couple of hundred of quid out of the new bike fund to get a new fork when the rest of the bike is getting tired. Hopefully nothing will break in the next 12 months and I'll have a nice FS coming my way soon.
  • chez_m356
    mcnultycop wrote:
    toastedone wrote:
    Or enjoy the bike you have now and rather than ploughing loads of cash into it, put that money away and save for a new bike

I'm doing this at the moment. Running my 2009 Trek 4500 that I've only upgraded the brakes on, keeping it looked after so nothing breaks and putting every spare penny I have away. The Dart fork on it isn't great, but it works and I can't see the point in pulling a couple of hundred of quid out of the new bike fund to get a new fork when the rest of the bike is getting tired. Hopefully nothing will break in the next 12 months and I'll have a nice FS coming my way soon.
    nothing wrong with that, i put off a few upgrades to the hardrock so i could get my FS, but now i've got it, i can resume my plans for the hardrock :D