Light inner tubes

spongtastic
spongtastic Posts: 2,651
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm currently using Continental Supersonice inner tubes on the Inbred, but had anybody used the Schwalbe XX lite ones? they're a bit cheaper and lighter.
Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I got on well with those, even running them in tyres that were officially too big for them... I never had a flat that I felt couldn't have happened with a standard tube, and they patch normally too.

Only downside I found, was that once you flat they can take more damage- a couple of times, by the time I'd stopped they'd picked up a load more holes just from being pinched once flat. That can happen with thicker tubes but it's not common.

Still, I kinda expected to have problems with them but they worked out better than I'd expected.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    My Ritchey 'Lightweight' tubes arived from Evans today - 3 quid each. 2.1-2.3, 186g. Not so light!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not light AT ALL, I'd say, I've got cheap and cheerful Tesco's in the retro that are only 200g - and cost £1.49ea!

I use Schwalbe tubes for 1.0-1.5" tyres inside bigger tyres (upto 2.25") without an issue, they stretch out OK, are regular priced, light (ish) at 120g and if they puncture shrink back to their normal thickness so survive the stopping on a flat phase OK.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.