Long distance riding in Europe

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
Hi All,

I would be interested in any advice from people who are familiar with long-distance, supported bike rides. A few of us are planning a supported (not touring with panniers) ride across Europe from the Netherlands to Northern Italy this summer and would appreciate the benefit of other's experience. So far we have considered:

1. Planning a suitable route, especially through the high mountains. Places to avoid/visit?
2.Direction of ride and transport home? Maybe a circular route would be better?
3.Equipment – cycles and clothing required.
4.Training required for around 100km/day rides.
5.Accommodation and support. I would suggest a support car, ideally a campervan or similar. This would give extra sleeping space and could be used in case of rider fatigue or illness. It could carry food, bottles etc.
6.Medical and mechanical support – needed?
7. Insurance.
8. Average costs.

Anything obvious I've missed? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Might be worth posting this on www.yacf.co .uk as some of the posters there do touring/randonees etc thro' Europe
    M.Rushton
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Hey...

Can give some relevant advice, cycled London to S.France last summer. Here is what we did, take from it what you will.

1. dunno, severely hilly terrain best avoided maybe as this is what definitely separated our group in terms of ability, but was fine, we just waited for all at major junctions etc and let people go at own pace.

2. Circular is easiest yes but maybe look at trains home etc, a final destination is a good motivator. We were lucky in being able to facilitate a car to drive home in.

3. We did it on road bikes with seatpost panniers <10kg luggage. Had ample space for what we needed but only took one change of clothes for eves and shared tools etc around the 6 of us. This was good as I got to shed the panniers and head of into mountains for a few days from a base on my normal road bike.

4. If you can ride 100km you will be fine IMO. Nobody we went with struggled with these distances, we were doing about 120km a day. There's a lot of hours in the day to cycle that distance. As long as you go at a comfortable pace, whatever that is, and feed well enough I'd say anyone would be fine doing 100km provided they'd cycled that distance or near to it once before to know what it feels like. We found doing it day after day made it easier. We had one day off I think in 10. Obviously the more training you do the better but don't worry about it too much.

5. We stayed in hotels. Majority ended up being Logis or Ibis and were great. Most cost us about 30 euros a head based on 2 sharing. All were good for locking bikes in the room or in secure/locked storage areas which tended to be basements etc. We would pick the hotel for the next day when we arrived in the afternoon. Often getting the hotel we were staying in to get us a good deal on the next one if they had another branch where we were heading. We pigged out at breakfast and dinner, getting lunch en-route, stopping for coffees etc when we discovered some nice village or whatever. Kept ourselves stocked on carb drinks via Decathlon.

6. We had a couple of punctures and a broken spoke between us on the trip. No big deal. Take a good tool selection and co2. Maybe a spare tyre and chain or 2. No need for support IMO.

7. Holiday insurance covered for health issues and home insurance in the UK covered us for bikes etc being stolen or damaged.

8. I budgeted 100 euros a day but in reality spent about 75 i guess. Evening meals and drinks accounted for half of that and we could have toned that down a lot but thought when in France why pass up the opportunity of a really nice meal every night. We had a few heavy nights drinking too but nothing not sorted out by mile 20 the next day. :lol:

Would love to do a similar trip every year but somewhere new as it was such a lovely way to see the country and take in so much of it. Italy next I think, maybe Spain.

Feel free to PM me if you want any info or whatever.
  • pottssteve wrote:
    Hi All,

I would be interested in any advice from people who are familiar with long-distance, supported bike rides. A few of us are planning a supported (not touring with panniers) ride across Europe from the Netherlands to Northern Italy this summer and would appreciate the benefit of other's experience. So far we have considered:

1. Planning a suitable route, especially through the high mountains. Places to avoid/visit?
    2.Direction of ride and transport home? Maybe a circular route would be better?
    3.Equipment – cycles and clothing required.
    4.Training required for around 100km/day rides.
    5.Accommodation and support. I would suggest a support car, ideally a campervan or similar. This would give extra sleeping space and could be used in case of rider fatigue or illness. It could carry food, bottles etc.
    6.Medical and mechanical support – needed?
    7. Insurance.
    8. Average costs.

Anything obvious I've missed? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve

Hi, I have much experience of this and have attached notes below.

1 Decide where you're going and head in the general direction of your destination. Setting off in the wrong direction will only make your days riding longer. Try to stick to the roads through the high mountains(and the low mountain come to that) as it gets a bit rocky away from the roads with possiblilities of punctures. Avoid unfriendly places and visit toilets when necessary.

2 Direction choice should be as already mentioned in 1 above. For return transport, what about taking a bike with you and ride back. If you pick the right route mainland Eurpoe can be a lovely place to ride.

3 You are correct a cycle will be required, clothes are optional but not wearing them may take some explaining. For france especially it is fashionable for men and women to ride in only short skirts. There is a seperate thread along these lines elsewhere on \cakestop.

4 Training shouldn't be required for 100km a day and you should aim to cover this distance in 2 hours unless climbing a significant mountain when it is ok to take 2.5 hours.

5 Accomodation should be sourced locally, many people leave their sheds open on a night. Your average shed will sleep 4 men and keep the bikes secure. Also you are correct support stockings should also be taken along.

6 If you feel medical support is necessary MTFU, with regard to mechanical support, make sure both tyres are inflated to anything over 30psi prior to setting off and forget about it. What can possibly go wrong, it's only a bike.

7 Insurance isn't necessary, as above what can possibly go wrong.

8 You should avoid paying average costs, always pay as little as possible.

I trust this has been of use and look forward to hearing about your journey on your return.
  • pottssteve
    Hiya!

Thank you for the advice, especially Evil Laugh.

pauldavid - Here's a little advice in return; If you're hoping to make a career in comedy I'd jack it in now, 'cos you're liable to starve to death.... :wink:

Any other (helpful) suggestions?

pottssteve
  • hardest part is getting out the door when you start from home, especially if its raining
  • pottssteve wrote:
    Hiya!

pauldavid - Here's a little advice in return; If you're hoping to make a career in comedy I'd jack it in now, 'cos you're liable to starve to death.... :wink:Any other (helpful) suggestions?

pottssteve

Well I never, you try to help and this is what you get in return.

May your wheels buckle and shift cables snap at the base of your next climb sir!!!!

In all seriousness(is that a word) I hope you get everythin together, just the thought of it makes me ever so slightly jealous.
  • pottssteve
    pauldavid wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    Hiya!

pauldavid - Here's a little advice in return; If you're hoping to make a career in comedy I'd jack it in now, 'cos you're liable to starve to death.... :wink:Any other (helpful) suggestions?

pottssteve

Well I never, you try to help and this is what you get in return.

May your wheels buckle and shift cables snap at the base of your next climb sir!!!!

In all seriousness(is that a word) I hope you get everythin together, just the thought of it makes me ever so slightly jealous.

In that case, take 2 weeks off whatever you do (it's not stand up, is it?!), and get on a ferry with your bike. You're only young for so long.....
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    http://www.eurovelo.org/routes/
    Eurovelo is a Europe cycling network of recommended routes
    jc
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    I rode on my own from Bilbao to Cherburg with a saddle and bar bag and rode 100mile a day at times because of having plenty of time. I stuffed the bar bag with chocolate buns and grapes to nibble on the way. I stayed in Youth Hostels picking up food on the way to cook in the evening. This was wonderful because we ( other travellers) all chatted about our journeys and tried each others wine. Some of the Hostels are spectacular. I would never do that again because I got sick of looking at tarmac all day. So, my next trip would be on and ATB on some Randoneer route, Britany coast line appeals to me. But good luck with your trip.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.