Peak District Conditions

albo
albo Posts: 260
edited February 2012 in Routes
Hi,

Anyone here from the Peaks care to help me out?

A group of us are/were headed up to the Peaks this weekend, but a couple are worried about the snow/ice.

Do you think it'll be a real issue? If so we'll postpone it for a week, maybe.

Comments

• BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    All depends on your confidence. I did the Edale/Rushup Edge/Hayfield loop recently. It usually takes less than 3 hours in nice conditions, but took 4 with all the ice. Most of the time, the ice was quite 'ground up' with some crunchy snow on top. There were some sections where the ice looked like glass, which I walked over. But overall, there were always enough rocks or gravelly bits sticking out to get purchase on. The trickiest downhill was Chapel Gate as there were several frozen steams crossing the path on steep sections. But I just took it steady, made sure I wasn't leaning or braking too much, and it was fine.
    Give it a go, the scenery is lovely up there with all the snow and ice. If you've got knee/elbow pads, put them on just in case. But it'll be a laugh - honest !
  • Up on Chinley Churn running this morning and the whole of the main bridleway is solid ice... snow forecast for tomorrow and Friday though so that should bury it.... as BG2000 says, it'll be a laugh and at least Rushup Edge will be hard frozen and not a swamp.
  • BG2000 wrote:
    I did the Edale/Rushup Edge/Hayfield loop recently.

Could you tell us when that was? Was it since Saturday 4 February, which was when all the snow fell.

I was out round Hayfield on Friday 3 February and conditions where amazing, frozen absolutely solid, tiny bit of cosmetic snow and very very dry, virtually no ice.
    But since then it has snowed a huge amount so I'm keen to know if anyone has been out since then.

I'm keen to do Jacons, Rushup, Cavedale this weekend if possible.
  • Anyone out today ( Sat/2)? Could do with an update on whether Jacobs, Rushup etc will be feasible.
  • And the answer is... awful.
    It wouldn't have been so bad if it had stayed cold, but it was actually pretty warm today up Jacobs Ladder. The snow is all mushy and unridable. The sections with water in them, pretty much all of the bridleway are just wall to wall ice. Complete mince.
    Took a slight detour south from the top of Jacobs along some exposed flagstones which were a lot better as they were wind scoured. But all in all give it a miss unless it either freezes properly or preferably melts completely.
  • Was gonna go round ladybower reseviour and surrounding are tomorrow with a mate , shall i give it a miss then and go to llandegla? Am on a hardtail and not used to riding in snow and ice!!
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Snow is all but gone around Edale/Ladybower so it's just a bit muddy now 8)
    Looking over towards Kinder/Jacobs Ladder there looked to be patches of snow but nothing major.It could still be icy up there though.