Windows upgrade from Vista to 7

Pep
Pep Posts: 501
edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
I don't like Vista. PC far too slow (HD is 133GB, two thirds full, defrag regularly, clean regularly, treated well, etc etc).

But not so keen to fork out £100 or so...

Anyone has experience of upgrade from Vista to 7?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Yes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    nicklouse wrote:
    Yes.
    And how did it go?
    Satisfied?
  • nicklouse
    well lets say I am glad to be rid of Vista and also upgraded to XP boxes to Win 7 at the same time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • 7 is a lot faster/smoother in my experience - the two laptops I upgraded were almost unusable under Vista, and are now running very smoothly under 7. £100 is cheaper than a new PC and the upgrade went smoothly enough (one was a clean install, one I did over the top of Vista).
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    7 is a lot faster/smoother in my experience - the two laptops I upgraded were almost unusable under Vista, and are now running very smoothly under 7. £100 is cheaper than a new PC and the upgrade went smoothly enough (one was a clean install, one I did over the top of Vista).

Interesting, my laptop is crippling slow and was wondering if I could install 7 over the top of Vista. Do you lose date doing it like that, photos, docs etc?
  • nicklouse
    markos1963 wrote:
    7 is a lot faster/smoother in my experience - the two laptops I upgraded were almost unusable under Vista, and are now running very smoothly under 7. £100 is cheaper than a new PC and the upgrade went smoothly enough (one was a clean install, one I did over the top of Vista).

Interesting, my laptop is crippling slow and was wondering if I could install 7 over the top of Vista. Do you lose date doing it like that, photos, docs etc?
    nope. it makes a folder called old windows.

but I would back everything up any way. I updated my Laptop from XP to 7 with no issues.
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    Just bought a new laptop with 7 over previous vista......I would wait until you need to upgrade.....I have also got better processor and more than double the machine than I bought 3 years ago for less money.....
  • 7 is what Vista should have been: 'finished'. Using it on laptop and desktop and it's perfectly fine.
    Just as a heads up, Windows 8 will be on later this year, around September. It does look completely different at first with the 'Metro' styling but theres the regular desktop beneath. Should have performance improvements over 7.
    Go for the break
    Create a chaingang
    Make sure you don't break your chain
  • Do you have any children at school or studying yourself? Healthy discounts to be had here if so http://www.software4students.co.uk/Wind ... tware.aspx

Be quick tho, Microsoft change the rules at the end of March I think.

I've upgraded a couple of machines from Vista to W7, both painless but do a back up of important stuff as always.