Public Transport costs a bloody fortune

UndercoverElephant
UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Right, I'm on the train today, due to a works night out. My costs so far:

Return train ticket - £7.20
Then I didn't have the right change for the bus, so I went to Valvona & Crolla for a bacon and Omlette Sandwich and a coffee - £8
Then, as the coffee was so nice, I bought a pack of it, and some chocolates for the Mrs for Valentine's day - £20
Then the bus cost be £1.30

That's nearly £40 to come by train!!! I need to buy more bike bits, it saves me a fortune!

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,371
    File under "little lies I tell myself" :)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    the "talented" that operates the transport company deserves their share.

seem more theives than "talented" to me.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    rjsterry wrote:
    File under "little lies I tell myself" :)
    Oh, look, I don't seem to have the right change. I'll just haaave to go and get a nice breakfast.... :mrgreen:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I always think of retailers near public transport as being like barnacles filtering money from a stream of soulless commuters. A bit like this.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Mrs A is kept relatively content if I spend less on bikes than my train ticket would cost. That gives me a budget of £3,126 a year. I treat it like the council, if I don't spend it then it will get cut next year.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Asprilla wrote:
    Mrs A is kept relatively content if I spend less on bikes than my train ticket would cost. That gives me a budget of £3,126 a year. I treat it like the council, if I don't spend it then it will get cut next year.
    Does your new commute increase or decrease (pulls scream-like face) your budget?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • asprilla
    JonGinge wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Does your new commute increase or decrease (pulls scream-like face) your budget?

It's exactly the same. I may have accidentally selected 'via London Terminals + Zone 1-6 Travelcard' as my prefered route though. That adds about a grand to the budget which gives more scope for pointing at savings and then converting those into brownie points.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Asprilla wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

It's exactly the same. I may have accidentally selected 'via London Terminals + Zone 1-6 Travelcard' as my prefered route though. That adds about a grand to the budget which gives more scope for pointing at savings and then converting those into brownie points.
    Pity there isn't a 'via London Terminals + Zone 1-6 Travelcard with Emergency Helicopter backup' as an option :(
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I went by train to work, Wed, Thur and Fri last week plus Monday this week 8 journeys at £4.9 per journey, that's a total of £39.20 for four days. I was upset my "free" six month service ended up costing my £150 (chain, cassette, mudguards and fitting) but in comparison to the cost of PT it's nothing really. I'll make that back in 16 days....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • sketchley
    Although Boris' plans for standard fares across the networks would make a difference. Currently if I get the train from Worcester Park (Zone 4) to South Quay the fare is £4.90 each way. However from Wembley Park or Richmond (both Zone 4 and similar distance) it's only £3.60 as it's tub all the way.....
    --
    Chris

• asprilla
    Sketchley wrote:
    Although Boris' plans for standard fares across the networks would make a difference. Currently if I get the train from Worcester Park (Zone 4) to South Quay the fare is £4.90 each way. However from Wembley Park or Richmond (both Zone 4 and similar distance) it's only £3.60 as it's tub all the way.....

Of course you know the difference it will make will be that it will be £4.90 from Zone 4.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited February 2012
    Using my oyster card:

South Wimbledon to Liverpool Street £3.10 (Morning) £2.60 (Evening - after 5pm)

Liverpool Street to Goodmayes £3.50 (6.30am - 9.30am and 4.00pm - 7.00pm)

£6.60 to get to work. £6.10 to get home. Or £7.70 with the price cap.

If I cycle then get the train into and out of work (that's Liverpool Street to Goodmayes and Goodmayes to Liverpool Street) it costs me £7 a day. £35 week. £140 a month.

So I tend to get the monthly travel zone 1 - 4 travelcard for £160.60 (as I can use it for weekends if I have to).

It also costs me £20 a day to drive to work.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • sketchley
    That's odd, if you travel from South Wimbledon Zone one there is only a peak journey in the morning as per DDD above. If you travel from South Wimbledon to Zone 2 (say Canary Wharf) there is peak in morning and evening. If you travel from Worcester Park to Zone 1 there peak morning and evening. :shock:
    --
    Chris

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Sketchley wrote:
    That's odd, if you travel from South Wimbledon Zone one there is only a peak journey in the morning as per DDD above. If you travel from South Wimbledon to Zone 2 (say Canary Wharf) there is peak in morning and evening. If you travel from Worcester Park to Zone 1 there peak morning and evening. :shock:
    Tube or British Rail.

Personally I find the tube tariffs far easier to understand. There is no reason why there should be peak charges at rush hour (morning and evenings) except to generate more money.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • sketchley
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    Tube or British Rail.

Personally I find the tube tariffs far easier to understand. There is no reason why there should be peak charges at rush hour (morning and evenings) except to generate more money.

Not quite, south Wimbledon to canary wharf is tub all the way. It because you make a journey from Zone 1 out in the evening it becomes peak rate....
    --
    Chris

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    [...] so I went to Valvona & Crolla [...]
    well done for keeping out of the wine section- could gave easily tripled your spend!
  • DrLex wrote:
    [...] so I went to Valvona & Crolla [...]
    well done for keeping out of the wine section- could gave easily tripled your spend!

It is one of the most fantastic places on the planet. As for the wine section, it's strictly a case of "Eyes forward, no stopping."
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Sketchley wrote:
    errr.... Mornington Crescent. I win.
  • Sketchley wrote:

You'd be mad to tube it from Richmond unless seriously counting the pennies. While more expensive, train plus tube is a good 20 minutes quicker for that journey, probably more like half an hour. I know because I've been late for meetings when the train's been down and had to tube it instead (in a time BBC - before bike commuting).
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • If I elect to use public transport to go to work, the cost is £20.80 for a return ticket, I spend about £50 every 5-7 days on petrol for the car which covers a 5 day commut and social (about 15% of the petrol) in that time. I know that there are other running costs with the car, but I tend to ignore those, as they come intermittently and the train ticket only covers to and from work, I cannot divert in anyway. So yes, public transport is damned expensive.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    PT sucks the big one. I used the tube for work only once last year. Once too many.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I don't think I've ever commuted to work on public transport. I've been working for 25 years. I've used cars, motorbikes, bicycles, my feet and lifts off other people. I have used PT when going out drinking, so half of the time I've been on PT as an adult I've been drunk.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    I don't think I've ever commuted to work on public transport. I've been working for 25 years. I've used cars, motorbikes, bicycles, my feet and lifts off other people. I have used PT when going out drinking, so half of the time I've been on PT as an adult I've been drunk.

Same here, it's because of going out straight from work that I'm on PT. Nice tits, by the way.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Thank you, I might change them for a pair of Bristols at some point. The cars of course.
  • Follow that up with a nice pair of (door) knockers.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I need a travel card from zone 6 to get me into London Bridge and then out to Canary Wharf which is £15-80 a day if I use PT :cry: :evil:

That's not why I started cycling but it certainly helps me keep going.
    FCN = 4
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    £529 for annual bus travel or £888 for Metro, Rail, Bus and Ferry up here. Not bad considering.

Hmmm... can I add that to the '£3k a year' I'm saving by not having my car...
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.