Importance of bike weight versus lard weight

TheGeneralist
TheGeneralist Posts: 99
edited February 2012 in MTB general
I've been agonising for months * over which new bike to get. At one end of the spectrum there's the Ghost AMR 8700 at around 11.8kg, at the other there's the Trek Rumblefish at around 13.3kg. In the middle there's the Trek Fuel Ex9 at 12.6kg (19[.5]"). I discounted the Ghost eventually due to the low BB so there's the EX and the 'Fish with about 700g weight difference. I also demoed a Superfly 100 Pro which felt amazingly light and awesome on the climbs, no idea what the actual weight was but guess around 12kg.

So I've been trying to decide how important that 700g is. When riding a bike uphill any weight difference of 1kg feels really really noticable, BUT me and the bike together must be pretty close to 90kg so that weight difference is really less than 1% of the total ie nothing. So the question is, is the Fish 1/13 heavier than the EX or is the key calculation that the total package (bike + me) is only 1/90 heavier? I wouldn't notice if I was 4kg heavier or lighter but I certainly notice if the bike is lighter.

Is bike weight significantly more or less important compared to body weight ?

* went for the 'fish in the end. Due 27 Feb

Comments

• I'd say a lot of it is in the mind. As the bike is a desire we focus on everything that makes it better value for money in our mind. On a physical level we are not so picky, as you say we don't notice when we add 1kg but we witter on about every last gram on our bikes. Mates ask why I haven't got a carbon road bike? I'm an overweight middle aged bloke who couldn't do it justice. It's all perception at mere mortal level. Enjoy the hell out of whatever you choose
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Lighter bikes are, for the most part, nicer to ride. Certain parts benefit from being stronger (which usually = more weight) but in anticipation of someone saying "but I like weight to stop the bike twitching about"....you don't strap extra weight to your bike do you? :wink:

As for body weight vs bike weight....if you've got money it's easier to drop weight off the bike than yourself. If you're broke but have got time to exercise then it's the other way round. A fat,unfit rider on a 17lb bike is going to be slower than a fit rider on a heavier bike.

As for the 1/13 or 1/90 calculation, I'd say it's somewhere in between. Switch from a 15kg to 10kg bike and you won't get 33% quicker, but you'll definitely notice a difference.

I'd like any bike I buy to be sensibly light, but I wouldn't let it be the deciding factor, I'd see what I liked riding most and pick that.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Gwaredd
    Gwaredd Posts: 251
    In all honesty, I think it only matters if you're really good on a bike & fling it around like a mentalist. For general riding, trail centres & weekends in the woods, choose a bike that fits good & feels good & don't get hung up on the weight, brand or kit.
  • theshrew
    theshrew Posts: 169
    I think it depends on what you are doing with the bike.

If your racing then id go for as light as your pockets will allow

If your just going for a enjoyable fun ride then whats the point in paying extra for something you dont need to benifit from. If it feels nice just ride it.

Ive not been riding that long maybe a year. Dont get that much free time to get out tbh would love to do more. I really want a full bouncer but havent gone out and got one yet - because i will enjoy my rides just as much on my HT :lol: Thats what its all about at the end of the day :lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I like light bikes... But I think at least part of it is just how they feel, it's not neccesarily an important difference except in my head but that's still important- they just feel easier to handle and that makes it easier to take on tricksy maneuvres. (it genuinely is easier to do them but I don't know if that's as important as the pscyhological edge tbh)

Does depend a lot on the rider, if you're a relatively wheels-on-ground rider or fairly static on the bike then it's probably much less relevant than if you like to shift the bike under you rather than with you. But also if you're a really powerful or skilled rider you can probably work around extra weight.

At the end of the day if you feel fast you go faster.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have gone from e 27lb Giant Trance X to a 31lb (as it is now) Giant Reign X.
    The reign was hard work at first but since changing the wheels to lighter ones & fitting a lightweight cassette & lighter tyres I would say that even though the Reign X is 4lb heavier than the Trance & has 50mm extra suspension travel it is no harder to ride uphill.
    Loosing rotating weight makes a fair difference but other than that I don't really notice any difference.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    If your over weight by a fair margin, loosing that would benefit you more than riding a light bike, as your clearly not over weight then bike weight becomes more relevant so in your case bike weight is more important.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I have come to the conclusion bike overall weight means nothing. Rotational weight means everything.
    Body weight makes a huge difference too, i started last years season about 2kg heavier than at the end, but there was a month period where i really went for it and dropped a load of weight for my first 2hr race (from 1hr races) and the difference was amazing. I still had the power but i had better endurance, no cramping and it was easier to hydrate. Shame i put most of it back on over crimbo :roll: and now i cant ride because of the dam snow!

Oh and good choice on the "Fish" :D
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    It also depends where the extra weight is on the bike.

Add an extr 700g your wheels and you'll really notice it; however distribute through components like bars, stem, seatpost, frame etc and I bet you wont.

My tuppence is that rider fitness (and ability) make much more difference to the weight of the rider or the bike.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It depends on the rider - it matters more to some, or others can feel it more. A light bike is easier to move around underneath you and hop. A lot of riders seem to hit a limit on the bike where it becomes very noticable.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A slightly heavier rider will naturally have the musculature to go with that weight.

A heavier bike can be a better climber due to factors that offset the weight, such as better suspension control, gearing etc etc.

If everything else where equal (which of course it can't be) then you'd obviously take the lighter bike every time.

My Kraken is specced towards the 'racing whippet' end of the spectrum, but that suites my riding (style, ability or lack of, and location), but for a similar budget you only get a stronger bike by accepting a heavier bike and sometimes people will accept the weight to get the strength.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Lighter bike underneath you = easier to ride. Simple as that really. You can't bring your weight in to the equation because its a controlled variable. You could if you compare fat person on light bike or skinny person on heavy bike but not for you and only you as you're same weight on either bike so weight of bike is the only difference.