what happens to contador's prize money?

bobhitch
bobhitch Posts: 87
edited February 2012 in Pro race
I'm led to believe that tradition dictates that the tour winner shares out his prize money amongst his team mates as a gesture of thanks for their efforts.
Does being stripped of the title mean he has to hand the money back and ,if so , do you reckon he asks for it back or dips his hands in his wealthy pockets ???

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'd be surprised if he'd seen the money. ASO aren't exactly quick at paying.

I must be the only person in the world who thinks in the grand scheme of thing the prize money doesn't amount to much.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:
    I must be the only person in the world who thinks in the grand scheme of thing the prize money doesn't amount to much.

No, there's me as well.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Half a million euros isn't to be sniffed at!

Anyone know how much winning the Giro gets you these days? I know it was about 100000 euros.

A lot to lose even to someone with deep pockets. Also the 3m euros in legal fees as reported and loss of salary. Ouch.
  • I would be slightly more interested to consider what happens to the ranking points. Whilst I doubt that it is close enough between teams to have much of an impact could there not be a case whereby a team did not have sufficient ranking points to either secure world tour status, or even bonuses due from sponsors because of Contador, or his team mates with his help, positions in point scoring events. Whilst we cannot go back in time and change history I wonder if the points get retrospectively redistributed? Could this have also had an impact on the national team sizes for the worlds?

I think this should be more of an incentive for the UCI to get these things sorted out sooner. Whether we like it or not cycling is now a business, along with many other sports, and there is a huge potential impact for the teams, the pros etc from the delays this has caused.

Just my thoughts.

Mark
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    mbrundrett wrote:
    I would be slightly more interested to consider what happens to the ranking points. Whilst I doubt that it is close enough between teams to have much of an impact could there not be a case whereby a team did not have sufficient ranking points to either secure world tour status, or even bonuses due from sponsors because of Contador, or his team mates with his help, positions in point scoring events. Whilst we cannot go back in time and change history I wonder if the points get retrospectively redistributed? Could this have also had an impact on the national team sizes for the worlds?

I think this should be more of an incentive for the UCI to get these things sorted out sooner. Whether we like it or not cycling is now a business, along with many other sports, and there is a huge potential impact for the teams, the pros etc from the delays this has caused.

Just my thoughts.

Mark

You make good points and I think you re right. It is not fair to the rest of the Saxo bank team to suddenly loose their jobs because of one mans cheating/stupidity/bad luck (delete as appropriate). Budgets, schedules and riders are in place now and although one could promote a pro Conti team to Pro Tour in place of Saxo Bank (Saxo bank dropping down), I suspect that this would be just as bad for the team promoted (although t'would be a big oppourtunity to be seized) than for saxo bank.

The last point is the most important though!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    Can't help noticing the accompanying ad banner for this thread on my screen goes like ' 4 ways to avoid running out of money during retirement'. Uhm, sack your legal team?