If you want to RLJ then move to Paris

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    Where's the popcorn.

I quite like this actually.

It's a dangerous precedent though to trust common sense. Health and safety gone sane I tells you.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Makes complete sense.

Reversing the directions (obv we drive on the left) the new (test) ruling means that you could turn left on a red at a crossroads and go straight ahead on red at a T junction where the T is off to your right.

Similar thing applies for all vehicles in many US city centres.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    I'm all for allowing red light jumping if wearing a helmet is made compulsory.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Apparently there may be problems getting it to work if cyclists, drivers and pedestrians don't respect each other. This is Paris we are talking about, a city where insurance companies don't pay out for accidents that occur on certain junctions and roundabouts.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Somehow I can't picture a French policeman arresting a suited guy on a little sit-up & beg bike for being on the phone...
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    Paris is an extremely safe city to cycle in. There is a lot of traffic but drivers are respectful of cyclists, unlike in the UK. There were no cyclists killed there last year.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Sounds very sensible to me. Treating a cycle and car in the same way is nonsense.
    Cyclists have much more in common with pedestrians and they're allowed to be wherever they want.
    exercise.png
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Wow, what is The Times playing at? That article read like it was written through gritted teeth.
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    I guess the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. However if it is true that there were no deaths in Paris last year than it would seem there is something fundamentally different between cycling in Paris and cycling in London.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Makes perfect sense. Providing cyclists give way to peds if they have right of way to cross. For all concerned it has to be a better system, less cyclists bunching up at busy junctions, which should lessen the chance of incidents with impatient drivers when the lights turn green. Only problem might be with lots of cyclists who intend going straight on, taking up all the space on the left and preventing left turners from doing so, which could lead to a few losing their rag.

Edit: Oh, straight on too. Ignore the bit about cyclists in the way of each other then.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    I hope it works.
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    owenlars wrote:
    However if it is true that there were no deaths in Paris last year than it would seem there is something fundamentally different between cycling in Paris and cycling in London.

There certainly is.

http://cyclelondoncity.blogspot.com/2012/02/last-year-not-single-person-was-killed.html
  • pete54 wrote:
    owenlars wrote:
    However if it is true that there were no deaths in Paris last year than it would seem there is something fundamentally different between cycling in Paris and cycling in London.

There certainly is.

http://cyclelondoncity.blogspot.com/2012/02/last-year-not-single-person-was-killed.html

6814175905_f51a41e8ed_z.jpg

Where,in the name of left-handed Greek buggery, has the £400m gone? Consultants?
  • The Times wrote:
    A new sign featuring a yellow bicycle will indicate that cyclists can ignore a traffic light and move forward if the road is clear. They do not have priority and will be held responsible in the event of an accident.

In essence: If you want to RLJ, go ahead, but put your money where your mouth is.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    TheStone wrote:
    Sounds very sensible to me. Treating a cycle and car in the same way is nonsense.
    Cyclists have much more in common with pedestrians and they're allowed to be wherever they want.
    Allowed? Really?
    Pedestrians in the middle of the road?
    Cyclists going the wrong way up one way streets?
    Cyclists RLJ?

It happens. It doesen't mean it is allowed.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Greg66 wrote:
    The Times wrote:
    A new sign featuring a yellow bicycle will indicate that cyclists can ignore a traffic light and move forward if the road is clear. They do not have priority and will be held responsible in the event of an accident.

In essence: If you want to RLJ, go ahead, but put your money where your mouth is.

Only in instances with the 'amber bike light'.

So not at all junctions.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    daviesee wrote:
    TheStone wrote:
    Allowed? Really?
    Cyclists RLJ?

Yes. My understanding is that pedestrians are allowed to be wherever they want. There's no criminal offence (with the exception of motoways) although they can still be liable. Cycling should be similar.
    exercise.png
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331

Nice one, Belgium rocks! Beautiful country, great beer, safe cycling . . . a tad boring though, no hills :wink:

The amount spent in London is staggering, very difficult to see where it's all gone. We all know that the real problem is attitudes and education. Although those Paris cycle lanes look pretty smart.
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    The amount spent in London is staggering, very difficult to see where it's all gone.

Simples, in this country it takes three guys to do any road job. One to dig and the other two need to stand and watch.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    pete54 wrote:
    Paris is an extremely safe city to cycle in. There is a lot of traffic but drivers are respectful of cyclists, unlike in the UK. There were no cyclists killed there last year.
    No deaths but 500+ injuries, and according to the police they were mostly the cyclist's fault :-(
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    bompington wrote:
    pete54 wrote:
    No deaths but 500+ injuries, and according to the police they were mostly the cyclist's fault :-(

Damn "Reckless" cyclists, should be banned from the roads

/troll
  • daviesee
    TheStone wrote:
    [Yes. My understanding is that pedestrians are allowed to be wherever they want. There's no criminal offence (with the exception of motoways) although they can still be liable. Cycling should be similar.
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that one.
    As a cyclist I would rather be considered part of the traffic than as a pedestrian.
  • notsoblue
    daviesee wrote:
    TheStone wrote:
    [Yes. My understanding is that pedestrians are allowed to be wherever they want. There's no criminal offence (with the exception of motoways) although they can still be liable. Cycling should be similar.
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that one.
    As a cyclist I would rather be considered part of the traffic than as a pedestrian.
    Well, cyclists do have more freedom on the roads by virtue of just being smaller and more manoeuvrable than cars and motorbikes. I must have filtered past about 3 miles of traffic this morning, so I wouldn't strictly define myself as being part of that traffic. I think thats what people are getting at when they compare us more with pedestrians than cars. The authorities must have recognition of this too as there are probably* more miles of "Shared use" cycle/foot paths than cycle paths. When I'm in pootle mode in civvies my speed is closer to that of a pedestrian than a car.

*might be bullsh1t
  • notsoblue
    daviesee wrote:
    TheStone wrote:
    Allowed? Really?
    Cyclists RLJ?

Theres quite a few one-way streets in the City of London that are two-way for cyclists.
  • daviesee
    notsoblue wrote:
    Well, cyclists do have more freedom on the roads by virtue of just being smaller and more manoeuvrable than cars and motorbikes.
    I am not so sure on the motorbike part.
    That depends on the size and/or type of bike and competency of the rider for both motorbike and bicycle.
    Some cyclists that I have seen need to be given as much room as a bus :wink:
  • daviesee
    notsoblue wrote:
    Theres quite a few one-way streets in the City of London that are two-way for cyclists.
    I knew that was coming.
    In these cases the cyclist is not going the wrong way :wink:
  • notsoblue
    daviesee wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Well, cyclists do have more freedom on the roads by virtue of just being smaller and more manoeuvrable than cars and motorbikes.
    I am not so sure on the motorbike part.
    That depends on the size and/or type of bike and competency of the rider for both motorbike and bicycle.
    Some cyclists that I have seen need to be given as much room as a bus :wink:
    Well, I know that I cause less noise and disruption rocking up to Waitrose on my hybrid in civvies, quickly locking it up on the pavement and heading in to do some shopping than I would if I was riding a 125. Similarly, there weren't many motorbikes following me as I was filtering through the traffic.

Anyway, the manoeuvrability of motorbikes wasn't really my main point there. Cyclists are closer to pedestrians than motor vehicles when it comes to speed, noise, and general impact on their surroundings. Theres a good reason why bikes are allowed on canal towpaths but motorbikes aren't.
  • notsoblue
    daviesee wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    I knew that was coming.
    In these cases the cyclist is not going the wrong way :wink:
    My point is that this is an acknowledgement of the fact that cyclists are more like pedestrians than cars when it comes to road use.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,683
    Nice one, Belgium rocks! Beautiful country, great beer, safe cycling . . . a tad boring though, no hills

Never heard of the Ardennes then Pete?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver