Genesis croix de fer

gwillis
gwillis Posts: 998
edited February 2012 in Commuting general
Thought I'd try posting this here given its such a popular bike

Just toying with getting a new bike on the CTW scheme and the genesis seems to tick all the boxes for non cx racing and maybe the odd audax ride. I'm trying to work out if I need a 52cm or 54cm . I'm 5ft 8 with a 31 inside leg and wad thinking of the 52 but I've been advised by the online retailler than we are tied to that I need a 54. In my other bikes I have 53.5cm top tube which fits done.

I'm also wondering if I can drop to a 25mm tyre ?

Any advice on this bike is much appreciated

Comments

• the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    I've been looking at the CdF. Basically, I needed to go a size down compared to the Equilibrium. I'm 5ft 10, 32-inch inside leg and I need a 54cm in a CdF instead of a 56cm Equilibrium.

Obviously, the best thing to do is to try one and see which is best for you. Failing that, if you can work off the geometry of your existing bike (accepting that the CdF is a bit squarer - i.e. longer seat tube than on their other bikes) you should go with those measurements. Gut feel says probably a 52cm.

As an example - the 54cm CdF has a seat tube of 54cm and a top tube of 54.5cm. The 54cm Equilibrium has a seat tube of 51cm and a top tube of 54.5cm. That is a reasonable difference to the overall geometry. The 52cm has a top tube of 53.8cm, so that seems pretty close to your other bikes.

Can't see any problem with a 25mm tyre.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • gwillis
    Cheers I rang Epic cycles today who supplied my bianchi and would be my first port of call for my Cdf but sadly I'm tied to a specific online store. Epic agreed that a 52cm was my best option.

The bike makes a lot of sense for me and I'm encouraged it was used by a few riders in the Paris brest Paris and otley course Vin Cox. I'm happy with the weight but being able to run a smaller tyre would be a plus for road rides.

I was initally toying with building a equlibrium frame but the Cdf on CTW works outcat around £700 which is good considering it now has 10 speed tiagra which I use on my winter kinesis frame.
  • I don't think you will have to much of a problem using a smaller tyre, its normally when you need to fit a bigger tyre and the frame or fork hasn't got the clearance.

You may struggle to get the Cdf though, I think its £1100 and the cyclescheme limit is usually £1000. Might be worth checking with the online store
  • gwillis
    No it's ok our scheme is doing them £989 so its fine
  • Are you obliged to say who the provider is or what online store its from?
  • gwillis
    Pm ,d