"Protected witness"

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited February 2012 in Pro race
Anyone care to speculate who was the proposed "protected witness" (not eventually permitted) that WADA/UCI wanted to give evidence anonymously in the Contador case?

Comments

• Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Paul Kimmage ??? :D seriously were u find this info news to me ans prob some others
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    It was the drug taking cow that he ate :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Choppered wrote:
    Anyone care to speculate who was the proposed "protected witness" (not eventually permitted) that WADA/UCI wanted to give evidence anonymously in the Contador case?

Whoever it was clearly didn't have a very good story to tell.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,196
    Probably the Texan. The UCI / WADA have a quiet word with the Feds to drop their case and in return LA spills the beans on Bertie's drug dealing when they were team mates at Astana :wink:
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,558
    Interesting.

Found this
    http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/02/cyclist_alberto_contador_strip.html
    The CAS ruling revealed that WADA tried to introduce a protected witness at Contador's hearing. The panel, however, rejected the anonymous testimony about "events that allegedly happened in 2005 and 2006."
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yeah, that's the one - lots about it in the CAS document.

Got to be Puerto-related, I guess.

CAS panel tried to get a compromise - which both parties rejected. Suggests there's something v explosive!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Choppered wrote:
    Yeah, that's the one - lots about it in the CAS document.

Got to be Puerto-related, I guess.

CAS panel tried to get a compromise - which both parties rejected. Suggests there's something v explosive!

Yes, I've read the chunk in the ruling about it now (had focused on the blood doping part first).

The witnesses accusations were described as "severe". Sounds very Puerto to me. I can only imagine that it would have to be pretty serious for evidence from 2005-2006 to be taken into account, as it could only be used to establish that Contador's reputation wasn't as clean as he likes to make out - at the very most that Contador had specifically used Clen & blood doping before. That's still a very long way from proving he used it this time.
  • The protected witness wanted to remain anonymous to protect his safety, concerns about his family if he was identified.

Read 2/3 of the report, and it makes alberto's team look stupid.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    The protected witness wanted to remain anonymous to protect his safety, concerns about his family if he was identified.

Read 2/3 of the report, and it makes alberto's team look stupid.

I didn't think a specific concern about his family was raised, thought the "family" stuff was noted under reasons a witness could legally be entitled to anonymity?

I make you right about Contador's team though.

I didn't think a specific concern about his family was raised, thought the "family" stuff was noted under reasons a witness could legally be entitled to anonymity?

Section 167: WADA indicated .... such witness feared the consequences ... for his/her family.

Pity the copy I have is just a photocopy pdf and not searchable.
    --
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Section 167: WADA indicated .... such witness feared the consequences ... for his/her family.

Pity the copy I have is just a photocopy pdf and not searchable.

Cheers, must have skimmed that too quick.

Yes, same here on the PDF. Bloody wonky as well, think I've got a crick in my neck from reading it...
    Yes, same here on the PDF. Bloody wonky as well, think I've got a crick in my neck from reading it...

Not a problem for me, my sofa is wonky.
    --
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Not a problem for me, my sofa is wonky.

I should, of course, try reading it after quite a few beers.