Treviso to the Dolomites

paulontheroad
paulontheroad Posts: 33
edited February 2012 in Tour & expedition
Early summer I'm planning to fly into Treviso and then make my way north via Bassano del Grappa, Monte Grappa and Croce d?aune towards the dolomites. However I'm a bit concerned about the road (the SR50 I think) which heads north from Sovramonte via Mezzano to Passo Rolle. Their seem to be a couple of long (to very long) tunnels which I´m not sure are bike friendly. Has anyone ridden this route, or would advise for or against it? And if appropriate what would you suggest as alternatives?
Thanks for any help
Paul

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    There is a long tunnel between Arsié and the SS47 which you definitely, definitely want to avoid (but I'm assuming you are taking the SP141 over Monte Grappa). The other tunnels look like they might be more feasible - but I'd carry lights (and legally you should also wear hi-viz). The Croce d'Aune is a popular climb, but I think most people who do it then go on to Lamon or go round the mountain and rejoin the road to Pedavena further on down.

I might be able to make some suggestions - where are you aiming to get to?
  • Yes, the SP141 over Monte Grappa and then the Croce d'Aune to Lamon was the plan. It was the big tunnel on the SR50 north of Lamon and south of Pontet that I'm particularly concerned about, and a couple of smaller ones North of Pontet.
    My general idea is to cycle the alps from East to West - Italy to Austria to Italy to Switzerland to Italy to France (more or less) -going over as many classic/pretty climbs as possible.
    For the first leg I was figuring to do the two climbs above, then over the Passo Rolle (which I read somewhere was a really nice one) then on to Canazei, Sella, Pordoi, Giau and/or others to Cortina. The I'll head North into Austria and towards the Grossglockner before before heading west.
    Everything open to change at the moment though so all advice and suggstions very much welcomed.
  • andymiller
    Unfortunately I don't have a ruler, but on my 1:200,000 map the longer of the three tunnels looks like it might be a kilometre. The others 300 and maybe 500.

One option, if you don't fancy the tunnels, might be do the Croce d'Aune from the other direction going via Fonzasco and maybe Lamon. I've only know the way from Feltre, but it looks like it should be possible.(Alternatively climb from Pedevana and then come down again). From the Croce d'Aune go down towards Pedevena and Feltre and from there pick up the road that goes via Foen, Cesiomaggiore and to Sospirolo. From there take the turning on the left which goes via the Lago di Mis and pick up the road to Agordo.

Alternatively, if Cortina is your objective, you could follow the old Imperial post road that follows the river Piave to Calalzo di Cadore and from there follow the ciclabile on the old railway line to Cortina (and beyond). The old post road has been superseded by the SS51 so cyclists have it pretty much to themselves. The climb along the Piave is dramatic. The ciclabile isn't particularly exciting, but the views are great. The bit between Belluno and Longarone is pretty dull but the rest of the route makes up for it. Most of the ciclabile is asphalt but you may need to take to the road when you get near to Cortina.

If you are interested in this option there's a map and downloadable gps track on this page. It's in Italian but if you run it through Google Translate you get a very reasonable translation. (That site http://www.magicoveneto is a really useful resource for cycling in the Veneto).

The Lonely Planet Cycling in Italy book includes a selection of routes around Cortina and between Cortina and Bolzano taking in the major passes.

Are you camping or staying in hotels?
  • Many thanks for the info. I think, at the moment, going via the Lago de Mis and Agordo looks the best option , and will let me do a wee circuit round the Sella before heading on to Cortina. The link to magicoveneto looks interesting too and will have a look over the weekend when I've got more time. Just bought the Cycling in Italy book on ebay too so will have a look at that when it's delivered.
    I'm going to be staying in hotels/hostals/b and b's/whatever's cheap. I'm sure dragging myself and bike and panniers over alpine passes will be tough enough, without adding all the extra clobber needed for camping.
  • andymiller
    I'm going to be staying in hotels/hostals/b and b's/whatever's cheap. I'm sure dragging myself and bike and panniers over alpine passes will be tough enough, without adding all the extra clobber needed for camping.

I was going to pass on some info on campsites - but you won't need it. As far as hotels are concerned - rates in Feltre were pretty reasonable. Cortina is one of Italy's most chic ski resorts - but I don't know what prices are like in the summer. IIRC you can download a list of hotels and agriturismi from the website of the provincia di Belluno.

You might find this site useful:

http://www.albergabici.it/albergab/ingindex.htm

It's a directory of bike-friendly places to stay (although I've never found an un-bike-friendly place.

And if you're passing through Cesiomaggiore at the weekend you might be interested in takeing a quick look at the bike museum:

http://www.museostoricodellabicicletta. ... lt_en.aspx

Good luck.
  • Thanks again for all the info, may have to make sure I'm passing through Cesiomaggiore at the weekend to visit the museum. And sure I'll be back on with more enquiries as plans develp.
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    Did a similar trip - Treviso-Dolomites-Austria - in 2002.
    The route we took is here...

http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/bike2002/index.htm

Really enjoyed it and can recommend the route. No tunnels and some great climbs.
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'
  • Thanks for that, loks a good trip though hoping for better weather on the Grossglockner!
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    Believe me - you don't want weather like that ;-) Probably the coldest I've ever been on a bike.

It's a fantastic road though. Do make the extra effort to do the climb up to the Glacier. Console yourself that the descent down to Ferleiten / Zell Am See is never ending!
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'