Cable Rub On Carbon

astormatt
astormatt Posts: 79
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I have just been messing with my bike and have noticed that i have some cable rub on the bb shell of the frame.
I am a little worried as i have only had the bike 3 weeks and have only done 7-8 rides on it.
Basically what would you do? i have put some bike tape over the area for the moment to hopefully stopping it getting any worse while i decide what to do and get advice.

bike1.jpg

bike2.jpg

bike3.jpg

Am i worrying over nothing? I dont think the pictures show the true depth of the area!

Cheers Matt

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Cable looks too short or has shifted. Get on o the seller and get some protection on it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Looks quite deep. Not sure how this will effect that particular part of the bike but I'd get someone who knows carbon bikes to look at it.
    Lets Ride!!
    Merida 96 26er
    Stumpjumper FSR 26er
  • JD_76
    JD_76 Posts: 236
    This is carbons weakest element, bash it and it will be fine, drop it off a cliff even, but rub something against it and it will suffer as yours has in a very short space of time.
    You need to protect the frame at every place the cables (brake or gear) touch the frame, get some clear plastic patches and stick them under your cables where they touch.

i use this stuff on mine - you can cut it to size to suit the area, it even uses nano-technology so any cuts repair themselves..

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=27987

P.S I wouldnt worry about the damage so far, just dont let it get any worse and get it protected.
  • I've had to reroute the rear brake hose and gear cable on my GT bike as they were rubbing severly on the carbon frame. I'd only been out on the bike 3 times and covered around 50 miles on it.
    GT Force Carbon Expert
    Carrera Fury
  • Well just a quick update, i have spoken to the shop and they are waiting for a reply off Cube, i sent some pictures so hopefully they sort it quickly.
    I think they will just lengthen the cable to eliminate the rub and that will be that.
    Pretty annoyed with myself though as i spent ages taping the headtube and other areas, didnt think to look underneath.