brakes (which brand/models are best)

A planty
A planty Posts: 47
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
have been looking at brakes but dont know what im looking at tbf so would like some help with what to look at/for.
Im currently using shimano deores

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    A planty wrote:
    have been looking at brakes but dont know what im looking at tbf so would like some help with what to look at/for.
    Im currently using shimano deores
    Vs or discs?

Formula discs. Shimano Vs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • discs sorry just took me awhile to work out what your post meant. U might gather im a newbie
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Anything wrong with the Deores? They are pretty good, especially the newer ones.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Anything wrong with the Deores? They are pretty good, especially the newer ones.
    there doesnt seem to be anything wrong with them but as i said ima newbie to it so havent really got anything to compare to
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Shimano XT M785, just make sure you get Icetech rotors too for maximum power
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Deores are pretty nice these days, so unless they're really old, there's probably better things to spend your money on.

But if you do decide to change, tbh I am inclined to think that if your brakes don't say Formula or Shimano on them, you've made a mistake. Those 2 have it sewn up.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    lawman wrote:
    Icetech rotors of course not affecting power one iota, however they do make them keep their performance better as they heat up as the icetech helps keep them cooler than plain discs.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • barty81
    barty81 Posts: 145
    cooldad wrote:
    +1 the new deores are spot on
    Giant xtc
    Canyon nerve am 7
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    lawman wrote:
    Icetech rotors of course not affecting power one iota, however they do make them keep their performance better as they heat up as the icetech helps keep them cooler than plain discs.

Simon

yeah shoulda made that clear :lol: