Loose cranks

gt5xcr
gt5xcr Posts: 77
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

I`ve got a Gt I-Drive 5 (2006) with a wobbly chainset. I`ve noticed that as I pedal the rings move in and out ,top to bottom like a warped record as if the main pivot isn`t tight. IT is as i have checked. It`s not play in the bottom bracket but seems to be from the bb housing pivot to the main frame.
Do any of you i-drive 5 owners(or anyone else) think it would be o.k. for me to put spacers next to the pivot bearings to pack out the gap? between the frame and bb bracket where you tighten it to the frame?.

any help would be appreciated and I hope ive explained this well enough.

thanks

5xcr
GT I_DRIVE 5 XCR IN BLUE.

Ride everywhere, To/from work(12hrs work a day/5 days a week) and still the energy to hit the trails.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sounds like you need to service/replace the bearings.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gt5xcr
    gt5xcr Posts: 77
    Hi , I`ve only recently replaced the bearings but will try swapping the top pivot bearings(newer) with the bottom (BB holder bearings-older) as they are the same type to see if this makes a difference.

thanks nicklouse for putting this idea in my head.

gt5xcr
    GT I_DRIVE 5 XCR IN BLUE.

Ride everywhere, To/from work(12hrs work a day/5 days a week) and still the energy to hit the trails.