Mallorca: house/villa recomendations

bobbymeister
bobbymeister Posts: 186
edited May 2012 in Tour & expedition
We're planning on heading out in May for a week's family holiday: four adults, two young children, one bike. I'm looking for a house/villa and wondered whether had any recommendations?
Easy on location, but looking for three/four bed, pool and close enough to civilisation to make a car unnecessary. Proximity to beach would be a bonus.
Can anyone help?

Comments

• Best spot is probably puerto pollensa. Excellent cycling, nice beach, nice town. I've used both villa parade and villa plus in the past. Both are excellent. Villa parade slightly nicer villas but a little dearer too. Smashing place and don't forget to pop in and see Bruce at procyclehire. Very friendly bunch and group rides leave the shop most mornings.
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    If you want chilled and relaxed check out Puerto Soller. We booked a week at apartment in the Port right on the small beach in Sept (used owners direct). Was reccomended as a good spot to relax- we have a toddler and a 6 month old. Thankfully the inlaws are coming along too, so we will get some time to kick back. There is a bike shop in Soller and have rented a Trek Madone 4.5 for about 100 yoyo's for 5 days. Mountains are only a few km's away too!
    Taxi, bus or train all options from Palma Airport.
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    Port d'Alcúdia or Port de Pollença.

Both great places for a family holiday. It's just a little personal preferrance. They are next to eachother and have great beaches, have alot of things for the kids to have fun and everything is within walking distance.

Also they are great places to be settles with a bike. I have lived in Port d'Alcudia for over a year and enjoyed rides to every part of the island from there. You could go with a group of cyclists which are alot in town all year around or find your own routes. Heres a little help on that one:
    http://www.globalspokes.com/Mallorca/ma ... routes.htm
  • +1 for Pollensa, and a good website for accommodation is irentmyvilla.com - it looks a bit rough and ready but it has lots of privately rented places (rather than agency/tour operator stuff) that means you can often get better prices and (important for us) non-standard arrival days and durations. We rented a brilliant place (too small for your group) with pool, bbq etc for about €100 a night in August a couple of years ago, and we were arriving on odd days to make the flights cheaper. This was in the area of villas just outside Pollensa town (as opposed to Puerto Pollensa) - the supermarket would be a bit of a schlep without a car (but there's buses) and the beach is also a 15 minute bus ride away - however our kids weren't keen on the beach so were happy enough with the pool.

If you want bikes for the rest of the team these guys are excellent. There's a really good cycle path into Puerto Pollensa along the main roads and lots of interesting little lanes to pootle about in too. Organised rides every morning from Tolo's caff on the front.

It's a brilliant place. Some good routes here and here. Enjoy!
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    I went on a group ride with the pollenca cycling club last week and noticed on there jerseys they had a sponsor by irentmyvilla.com
  • +2 for Pollensa; just got back from there and it's a great base for heading out for a wide range of rides. For a short stay we stayed at the Posada de Lluc, less than 3 minute's walk to the main square and can recommend it highly. It's got a decent sized pool, though mid April was a bit chilly for swimming! Great bike hire from Pollensa Cycling Center who have a shop in both Porta Pollensa & Pollensa itself. Mateu in the Pollensa shop (trading as Meam Si Torn) was very friendly and helpful, and I would use them again. The shop's website also has links to accommodation. Book early, though!
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    I went on a group ride with the pollenca cycling club last week and noticed on there jerseys they had a sponsor by irentmyvilla.com
    Old jerserys! Pretty sure irentmyvilla.com isnt really trading any more, ownersdirect.co.uk, prestige villas, mallorca farmhouses and villa parade are all pretty active in Pollenca. Im always curious why cyclists want to base themselves in Pto Pollenca as opposed to somewhere nearer to me where, for example, Sa Colobra is only 45 mins away, col de Soller 1 1/5 hours so you dont do the same last 30 kms every single day, but after 15 years here reached the conclusion that Im the only one who feels that way!
    Also, dont come in April, too many cyclists. Ick.
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....