Legs got tired very easily today, any ideas how to prevent?

JamesFree
JamesFree Posts: 703
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Maybe not the best section of the board to use but its the only section I use.

I went for a longer ride today maybe was a little underfueled but nothing major and had a 2 day rest at the weekend. But at the slightest sign of the hill my legs really struggled until after 30 miles they really wouldn't give any more and had to have a little rest up a few hills, my Heart Rate was only about 70% ish of max at the time.

They did'nt feel tight or even sore just a total lack of power from them.

Any idea what would be the cause of this and whats best to prevent or even help a little?

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Eat more, drink more? 30 miles is probably about the amount of glycogen the body can store...

How long are your normal longer rides?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Could be you didn't have enough fuel on board.

Or, perhaps you have a virus. I often notice I'm down on energy a few days before a cold comes out. In fact, sometimes I reckon I've had a virus that has only really presented itself as a loss of speed on the bike!

You should probably just bacvk off a bit and see if it improves on its own, only really cause for concern if you're still a nodder in a week's time!
  • JonGinge wrote:
    Eat more, drink more? 30 miles is probably about the amount of glycogen the body can store...

How long are your normal longer rides?

I made sure I ate plenty before I left so I guess I didn't eat enough during the ride looking back at it.

Had 600ml of water 600ml of lucozade sport and a powerbar (was a little frozen so hard to eat) and that was it.

Havent done many long rides over winter a couple of 30 milers after work but usually with a 20 miler in the morning but I guess this explains why these have always felt fine and never had any problems recently.

I have a little cold but nothing too bad but have noticed I sometimes lack power when its cold. Will try and refuel better and more often on my next similar ride on Saturday.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Yeah, I always feel slower in the cold. Greater air density; extra energy used keeping warm etc

Seems a reasonable amount of fodder for a ride that length, TBH. I do tend to start drinking/eating quite early into longer rides though
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Before anyone else does it....

MTFU? 8)
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I always lack oomph during the cold months and I have found I need for fuel when it's codl as my body is burning more to keep warm
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    I am having the same problem at the moment, seem to be down 2mph on summer speeds. I reckon it is down to the grease in my bearings increasing in viscosity due to the sub zero conditions causing extra drag :lol:
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I went through something similar a few years ago where I was commuting to work and my times came down, plateaued and then started rising. I applied some MTFU but the times kept rising, I was definitely getting slower. I was looking very lean but my weight was about the same.

Eventually I realised that I was running out of fuel and after burning lots of my fat reserves my body had started on the muscle. I started fuelling myself better ("More cake?", "Don't mind if I do!") and my times started falling again.

Basically, it sounds like better fuelling is the answer.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • The HR thing can be a bit misleading. I find my HR is higher at the beginning of the week and drops as my legs fatigue over the week. It does point to fatigue or fuelling that's holding you back.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    Before anyone else does it....

MTFU? 8)

+1 what are you ghey or a bird ...?! :lol: :P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    itboffin wrote:
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    Before anyone else does it....

MTFU? 8)

+1 what are you ghey or a bird ...?! :lol: :P
    Might be a ghey bird?

Get some fat in your diet, you know, for correct fuelling.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    I don't think you did too badly - a 28kph moving average over 80kms.

Longer rides will always feel a bit slower than your commute or 20ks at lunchtime.

If the hill you struggled up was Star Hill then join the club. It's > 10% for quite a stretch!
  • Yeah had done star hill a few times before and seemed to always be more out of breathe before my legs started to fatigue in that way.

Will give the same route another go soon when the temp goes about 0C and will eat abit more on the bike and see how I go.