Taking apart Raleigh suspension forks.

SupraMel
SupraMel Posts: 53
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I have been searching this forum to no avail I'm afraid so need to ask!

I have a 2010 Raleigh Chinook DD MTB with adjustible lock out forks, that unfortunately needs to live outside, as a result the front suspension has become sticky. As I ride along there isn't a great deal of damping happening and when I stop the forks seem to get stuck in their compressed state and spring up only when I take all my weight off.
It had a service at Halfords and they swapped the forks for me with some cheepo, non adjustable ones saying they couldn't get the originals to compress smoothly anymore and when I asked about taking them apart to refurb they said there should be a hex bolt in the end of them to undo them but it looks completely round in there.

I was hoping someone on here would be able to tell me if I can get them apart to clean up as I would like to put them back on as they are better than the replacements I now have.

Thanks
Melody :D

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds about right.

remove bolt(s) and pull them apart.

pics of the foot bolts and forks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    SupraMel wrote:
    As I ride along there isn't a great deal of damping happening
    Hmm, do you really mean that? Damping is control of the spring (stop it twanging up and down out of control), it sounds like your not getting much movement which is actually nothing to do with damping.....

Some cheap forks you access with a LONG extension through the top.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yes I mean not much movement, sorry. Am I right in thinking this is because they are dirty inside?

I will get some pictures later when I get home, there doesn't seem to be any way of getting in the top as the lock out and adjustment dials are there.

Thanks for the quick replies!
  • nicklouse
    most likey full of crap and water.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Ok I have some photo's of the forks now, in the last photo with a torch you can see that this is not a hex fitting but round and looks like it may be threaded. Is it this end I need to be at to get them apart?

001kjb.jpg

002vnb.jpg

004cz.jpg

007zgy.jpg

Cheers
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Lousy photos, but if that brownish stuff is rust I would say the chances are they are fubared inside.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ok, so what bit do you need to see photos of then?

The brown is grease.
  • cooldad
    End (bottom) of the legs, in focus. Why would you have grease there?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Is this better?

008wuox.jpg

I double checked the grease, maybe it's WD40 mixed with dirt.... not sure but it wipes off lol
  • nicklouse
    Looks like the bolt has already been broken off.
  • cooldad
    Can't see how they would unscrew, but if you've been squirting WD40 down them even more likely they are trashed.
    Think they are Zoom forks, TBH probably not much you can do with them
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    nicklouse wrote:
    Looks like the bolt has already been broken off.
    Probably why Halfords swapped them out - stuffed them trying to take them apart.

From the Zoom webbie though on their forks
    "High-level Zoom is the brand of high-quality bicycle parts that tie in with the new material and new technology to create. It demonstrates a noble breath, the gracefulness &fashion& trend are also rolled into one, furthermore extremely light, it is not only the optimal option for the international top-class bicycle racer but also the beloved for the modern pursuing fashion& trend."

Awesome.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    cooldad wrote:
    "High-level Zoom is the brand of high-quality bicycle parts that tie in with the new material and new technology to create. It demonstrates a noble breath, the gracefulness &fashion& trend are also rolled into one, furthermore extremely light, it is not only the optimal option for the international top-class bicycle racer but also the beloved for the modern pursuing fashion& trend."
    That's their way of saying: our products are fit for your local scrapyard.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • The Rookie
    I've taken apart 2 cheapies like that, it's a long extension bar all the way through from the top after you've removed the gubbins on top. What you can see is the bottom end of the bolt up through the threads

A good clean out and some decent grease and they'll work just as badly as before!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Do you have to be so negative about my bike? Yeah so I couldn't afford a 2 grand one. Doesn't mean you have to rip it to pieces just cause I want to try and repair it. I like it, I think it's a good bike, and it's more than good enough for what I want to use it for.
    I haven't squirted WD40 down them I use it to buff up the frame that's why it's on the outside. Also Halfords didn't try to take them apart they swapped them cause they wern't working properly, they are not sheared bolts I have seen plenty of them whilst restoring my car so I know what one looks like.

Simon, how do I take the dials off the top? should they just pop out?

Cheers
    Mel
  • The Rookie
    On mine I had one plain cap where you have the lockout, on the other the preload adjuster unscrewed on a big nut which I can sort of see in your photo....

Remove the lockout lever with a phillips screwdriver and see what is underneath.

From memory it is an alan headed bolt, 5 or 6mm and I needed a extension bars long enough to reach just about the full length of the leg from top to bottom.

Almost any cheap suspension forks off ebay with alloy lowers would be better than those, ask yourself if it is worth 'fixing' those.

I built my daughter a cheap 'MTB' as a ride around hack, the forks (similar to yours) were stripped down and the lowers sprayed pink at her request (it also has pink grips, brake cables and peddles)....then she decided she wanted to do the 'dog at Cannock....the forks survived just fine!
    TamaraatCannock.jpg

Simon
  • Thanks Simon, I'll take the lock out off tonight but I will have to wait till the weekend for extensions as all my tools are in my car which isn't at home!

I'm on a tight budget at the moment as my car is eating most of my money (still being restored) and I quite fancy taking them apart anyway for the fun of it so if I mess it up I'll get some fleebay ones. I might spray them also but maybe blue instead of pink to match my pedals :)
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    SupraMel wrote:
    Do you have to be so negative about my bike? Yeah so I couldn't afford a 2 grand one. Doesn't mean you have to rip it to pieces just cause I want to try and repair it. I like it, I think it's a good bike, and it's more than good enough for what I want to use it for.
    Sorry if I had insulted you in any way, I had no intention of that. But I think that you should know that those forks, may not last very long, and are not fit for proper MTB. They can, however be used for commuting ect. If I were you, and you are using the bike for commuting, I would do the same - not spend any money and try to refurbish them. Otherwise, it would be a new fork time.

Cheers
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • No worries, I commute apart from the odd trip to derwent resevoir and a couple of runs through some woods so I think they will be fine for now. I'll maybe get better ones in the summer if I find they are not doing the job. the replacements are the cheapest you can get so I'm worse off at the mo and can't afford to spend for now as I'm trying to get my car on the road so I can take the bike out in the summer. That needs 4 tyres, MOT, tax, welding for said MOT the list goes on! :(

I've not got a chance to do anything tonight as we have had people round but I'll have them in bits by the weekend I'm sure :)