Please help with advise on these bikes

stoksey25
stoksey25 Posts: 68
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi I need advise on these machines. After much research considering the amount of money I have to spend these are in the short list. £900 is at the very top end of my budget so I need as much advise on these bikes. Two weeks ago I would not even of looked at the mongoose bikes because I did not know anything about them but after been to my LBS and having a good look at them I like them.
Many thanks

Mongoose Salvo elite - http://activesport.co.uk/shop/article_B ... LEL-001%26

Mongoose Teocali Comp - http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b2s1p2162

Mongoose Teocali elite - http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b0s1p2161

Giant Anthem x5 - http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant_anthem_x5.html

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    One of the Mongooses from Paul's depending on your budget.
    Avoid Activesports or anything to do with Mark Anthony. Do a forum search if you want to know why.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • is the teocali elite from pauls better than the anthem
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Slightly better specced but they're different bikes really. Is a hammer better than a screwdriver? It depends what you want to do :wink:

The Mongoose is harder hitting, the Anthem is racier.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mainly over the chase for enjoyment really also been over wales to brenin and landegla
  • cooldad
    Mongoose for general hooliganism.

And a hammer is way better than a screwdriver. Obviously.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    I have a Mongoose Teocali Elite. I love it. You will love it.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • So the mongoose then . What is ment by the giant is more for race
  • widge34
    At a guess without looking I would say it probably has a shorter travel fork 120mm as to the mongoose having a 140mm. Probably same for rear shock. The Mongoose probably has a slacker geometry also.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • What sort of riding do you do xc or bits of everything.
    I really like the teocali and am swinging towards it . a lot of people have said get giant . I have seen lots of these over the chase but I don't recall ever seeing a mongoose .
  • Also is the elite version worth getting as the comp one still looks good and its 300 cheaper . Same frame isn't it just components . Is it worth the extra.
  • widge34
    I bought my Mongoose, then sold the forks as I had RS Revs to go on, sold the Hayes brakes as I had formula Oros to go on, replaced saddle, seatpost, stem, handlebars, pedals and tyres. Most of the components came off my previous Mongoose HT though. Now I have gone to a single ring upfront, so have a new X9 shifter and a new short gauge SRAM X9 mech (so SRAM x9 long gauge will soon be for sale) and also the formula brakes are being replaced by Shimano XTs.

So buying the comp maybe better as you will probably end up upgrading whichever bike you buy.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • cooldad
    widge34 wrote:
    At a guess without looking I would say it probably has a shorter travel fork 120mm as to the mongoose having a 140mm. Probably same for rear shock. The Mongoose probably has a slacker geometry also.
    You should have looked. Giant is 100mm travel, more racy XC. Adequate for most riding - probably the one I would go for, similar to what I ride. But I am not young, and tend to keep my wheels close to the ground (coward).
    The Mongoose would suit younger/braver/tougher riders. More AM if you like labels.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • stoksey25
    stoksey25 Posts: 68
    edited February 2012
    And another spanner in the works gt
    sensor 4 2011
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    stoksey25 wrote:
    Also is the elite version worth getting as the comp one still looks good and its 300 cheaper . Same frame isn't it just components . Is it worth the extra.
    teocali elite's fox rp2 xv rear shock is in a different class to any of the others, plus deore and slx drive train, no need to upgrade them, id say its worth it
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • And what about the front forks.
  • chez_m356
    stoksey25 wrote:
    And what about the front forks.
    im not that clued up on forks, best person to ask would be the resident guru supersonic, he seems to rate the teocali, and he's worth listening to
  • Ok thanks its looking like the teocali is the one then unless anyone knows of any others worth looking at.
  • What about the haro sonic comp
  • The Marzocchi 44's on the elite are quite good, and are a decent weight for the budget. The TST cartridges on the 66's a few years ago had problems with losing pressure, but i'm not sure if the 44's had the same problem, but either way they have been sorted out as of last year.

The toras on the comp are not by any means bad forks, but are a bit heavy.

I would say spend the 300 extra to get the elite, as it saves a bit of cost in the long run if you choose to upgrade things.
  • Anyone on the haro before I click confirm
  • widge34
    The Teocali will be better. You won't regret it.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • chez_m356
    stoksey25 wrote:
    Anyone on the haro before I click confirm
    there was a thread on here about the haro not so long ago, wasnt highly regarded if i remember right
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 wrote:
    stoksey25 wrote:
    Anyone on the haro before I click confirm
    there was a thread on here about the haro not so long ago, wasnt highly regarded if i remember right
    found it viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12829113&p=17382071&hilit=haro#p17382071
  • Thanks everyone
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    Ive got a gt sensor 4 great bike and if you get a 2011 bike youll save a few quid , same frame as the 3 grand model but lower spec but well worth upgrading. They dont suffer from pedal bob and are very comfortable over the rough stuff.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • Hi 1 last question I have had a final look around as this will be my last bike for a while and has anyone had any dealings with the mongoose salve elite 2011 as there is one for 800 . Or is the reocali the best out of the two
  • chez_m356
    stoksey25 wrote:
    Hi 1 last question I have had a final look around as this will be my last bike for a while and has anyone had any dealings with the mongoose salve elite 2011 as there is one for 800 . Or is the reocali the best out of the two
    Teocali all the way, id say its worth the extra £100 for the rear shock alone
  • chez_m356
    best advice, ask supersonic
  • Thanks everyone for your advise. After a unexpected bill I have ordered the teocali but the comp version. Can't wait to get it out there. Thanks again to all