It's that time of year again... Race time!

Northwind
Northwind Posts: 14,675
edited February 2012 in MTB general
Lots of race entries going live, who else is signing up? Anyone else biting off more than they can chew, or maybe jumping off into new territory, or trying to raise their game, or just going for a first ever race?

Last year, about now, I'd just signed up for the no fuss endurance downhill and I was wondering if I'd regret it- I'd ridden the world cup route just once, badly and slowly, and it left me a wreckage. As it turned out, it was pretty brilliant... So just signed up for the No Fuss Allrounder, which means soloing a proper XC race (10 at Kirroughtree), doing the endurance dh again, and also the Tour De Ben Nevis which is a big point-to-point backcountry event. Really haven't a clue if I can even complete the Tour never mind deliver a good performance :lol: And when I did 10 Under the Ben, I did 3 laps in a pair then basically spat the dummy. I think it's supposed to be the DH race that's scary but at least I know how to do that!

Think it's going to be a good year for racing all round- lots of interesting events, more enduros, more big XC events... So what's your poison?
Uncompromising extremist

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Never raced, but would be interested. Ride a (fairly light) 150mm HT relatively quickly, but I'm not superman, so don't want to do a head down arrse up XC race, but also I'm not ballsy enough to do a DH thing.

What's in the middle. Just....'mountain biking'....?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    bails87 wrote:
    Never raced, but would be interested. Ride a (fairly light) 150mm HT relatively quickly, but I'm not superman, so don't want to do a head down arrse up XC race, but also I'm not ballsy enough to do a DH thing.

Super d?
  • bails87
    Mark909 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Super d?
    *googles*

*finds http://www.ukgravityenduro.co.uk *

Hmmm, interesting.
    MTB/CX

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    bails87 wrote:
    ...not ballsy enough to do a DH thing.
    Could always enter the Racer's Guild meet this Sun Feb 19 http://www.racersguild.blogspot.com/

People do it on all kinds of bikes and I'll be there so you won't be the slowest :)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    which means soloing a proper XC race

That's not a proper XC race - that's an endurance event! There is a proper XC race (British XC R3) at Kirroughtree in May if you fancy trying that though, deciding if I can be arsed to drive all that way for 2 hours riding!

The usual for me: British XC series (with the above caveat on the Scottish round!), Southern XCs, doing 12 hour pair at 24/12, may do SiTS.

Tempted to try an enduro, like the idea!
  • bails87
    Nooo njee, "people like you" can't do enduros! I want them to be full of fat weekend warriors so I have some chance of not being humiliated! :lol:
    MTB/CX

• njee20
    Surely people like me are just what you want - expensive bike, team kit, riding slowly!

I'd do pretty badly I suspect! Unless it was fast pedally stuff, I'm really crap if it's more technical!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I'll be entering the student downhill and XC champs, whenever they've confirmed a date/venue for either. Aside from that, no real concrete plans. There is a gravity enduro at coed y brenin that i'd like to have a crack at though, and the fetish dh race at moelfre. So if I can do them, a real mixed year for me! Reckon I could at least place middle of the pack for most of those, if not do relatively well at the gravity enduro... maybe (if i get a bit fitter)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • njee20
    Aaah, the BUSAs, miss them. Great fun!
  • ilovedirt
    Definitely, went last year (at Moelfre) as a first year and it was probably the best weekend I've ever had on a bike!
    They've split the XC and DH events into two separate weekends now though, and they've not announced dates/venues yet for either. Bit worrying, seeing as they're supposed to be pretty soon... not quite sure how it's going to go down this year to be honest. I hope it's good though, but as long as there's 2/3 days of uplift and a race at the end for the downhill weekend, I'm happy!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I'm looking to do some more xc events this year - did a local series over the winter and managed to come 3rd in the series, basically through turning up and not being too rubbish :lol:

I'm better on the techy stuff though, I can't compete with the properly fast and fit people on the uppy downy xc stuff :oops:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • I've entered the Wentwood 50k again.. of which I'll be doing 25k.... which was actually 32k (don't ask!).

Not a race as such, just something different! Enjoyed it last year because it was foookin hard... was a great start to the year and really got me in the mood.

Plus I get a t-shirt.

Wanting to enter some gravity events too, but need practice 1st!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Bails, you definately sound like you should check out enduro racing... It's a kinda confusing thing to start doing, tbh, since there's endurance xc races that call themselves enduros (Gorrick, Dyfi) but that's a totally different sort of riding. Some people are calling proper enduro "gravity enduro" to set it aside but even that doesn't neccesarily tell you what to expect, the level of difficulty's all over the place. I've done Innerleithen MTB Racing stages that were IMO harder than the fort william world cup route, but then you see other enduro events that are just on trail centres trails.

But when it's good, it's very very good- just regular mountain biking with the volume turned up. Fab.
    njee20 wrote:
    That's not a proper XC race - that's an endurance event!

That's how well prepared I am for this endurance racing lark, i don't even know what it's called :mrgreen: I am so boned.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ilovedirt
    Northwind wrote:
    Bails, you definitely sound like you should check out enduro racing... It's a kinda confusing thing to start doing, tbh, since there's endurance xc races that call themselves enduros (Gorrick, Dyfi) but that's a totally different sort of riding. Some people are calling proper enduro "gravity enduro" to set it aside but even that doesn't neccesarily tell you what to expect, the level of difficulty's all over the place. I've done Innerleithen MTB Racing stages that were IMO harder than the fort william world cup route, but then you see other enduro events that are just on trail centres trails.

But when it's good, it's very very good- just regular mountain biking with the volume turned up. Fab.
    njee20 wrote:
    That's not a proper XC race - that's an endurance event!

That's how well prepared I am for this endurance racing lark, i don't even know what it's called :mrgreen: I am so boned.
    See that's what I'd quite like to get into, it's just a question of money and transport - I don't have either! :lol:
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • DH bike coming in April so was going to enter the Maxiavalanche in Orcieres at the begining of August as it's near to where I live but now going to be away then. Pretty gutted about that - would've been a good experience

Possibly might go for the Maxi in Are, Switzerland (end-August) but that's a 6hr drive or booking flights and then it gets expensive - and after dropping the best part of €3K on a bike, that might not be too sensible :wink:

I'm sure there should be some little local races near here - need to check it out. Might do the Ultra Raid in Sept just to see if I can http://www.ultraraidlameije.fr/

Def doing to the Mega in 2013 though 8)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • bails87
    .blitz wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    ...not ballsy enough to do a DH thing.
    Could always enter the Racer's Guild meet this Sun Feb 19 http://www.racersguild.blogspot.com/

People do it on all kinds of bikes and I'll be there so you won't be the slowest :)
    I'm tempted by this (got a few days off work next week to nurse any bruises!). Which trails is it on(I know the DH ones, but is it all on some super gnarrrrr?)? I've never been over to Stile Cop before, sure I could do at least the red though.
    MTB/CX

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The course details will be on here http://www.bikeadventuresuk.com/forum/v ... 12&t=11368 after dusk on the 18th to prevent any cheating...

Sunday's event is a fund raiser for Jason Brennan who got injured pretty badly at a course in Wales last year. The sponsors have been very generous so it should be a good one!

BTW you will need a FF and some handlebar end-plugs
  • bails87
    Ah, no FF so I'm out!
    MTB/CX

• me and my mate are doing round 2 of midlands xc series over Cannock on 18th march.

and then in August were doing the uk gravity enduro at Eastridge.

will be first time, and hopefully not the last, racing for both of us.
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • Rankles
    Rankles Posts: 144
    Long time rider, first year racing.

Lost a couple of extra stone and got fit for once in my life and decided I owed it to myself to give it a go. Signed up for all six Wiggle sportives and Gorrick Round 2, Black park XC and planning on at least one race a month for the season.

Still rocking the Rockhopper Pro 06 and some baggy Enduras too ;) Let's hope the open cats aren't too snooty...
  • njee20
    None of the categories are snooty, you'll be fine. A Gorrick Open race has all sorts in it, from ringers who should be in Sport or Elite to your typical weekend warrior on a 5" travel bike. That's why they're good!
  • Rankles
    Rankles Posts: 144
    Good to know! Looking forward to it. Had to take a two week training break because of the weather and having a cold, hopefully should be up to it!
  • I've already had my first race of the year, done the Strathpuffer 24hr in January as a quad. It was first race since I was 16- and that was 16 years ago!

Really enjoyed it, although I did have some low points. Seeing the sunrise as we set up then seeing it set not long after makes it feel like a long day!

And when I was out doing a 2am lap I couldn't help but think - half the country is asleep, the other half is pished, eating big fat juicy kebabs!

I'm going to enter the Whinlatter Challenge, seeing as its my local trail. A few mates are entering the Kielder 100 again, so I might, and I mean might, have a pop at that. Its just the amount of training I'd have to put in that puts me off.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3