crest vs flow on a superstar hub.

kenan
kenan Posts: 952
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Looking to order a set of these: http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=496 however can't decide if I need the flows over the crests.

They will be on my AM FS which I use from CwmCarn dowhill track to my local xc trails. I don't ride big drops/jumps (2-3 foot) or go faster than the average rider. I can't work out if the crests will be upto the job so I can save some weight or if I need to beef up the wheel set with the flows.

Comments

• kenan
    Thought you might ask that, 11.5-12 stone before riding gear
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Pity they don't have the Arch.

I'd look at these:

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=103

If QR is ok. I do think they are a bit tougher than Crests. Good weight. Better hubs.
  • kenan
    I need 20 front and 12 rear and was thinking stans to go tubeless.

My current wheelset on this bike is 2200g so even with the flows I'm saving a good 300g.
  • supersonic
    I'd email SS and see if they can get the Arch.
  • kenan
    If they could the price would be near 300 as it would be a the custom build. Just checked Merlin and they can do a pro2 + Arch for 313, not sure if I want to spend the extra to save the weight.
  • supersonic
    I'd have to side with the Flows then. 20/12mm already needed, might as well go the whole hog with a tougher, stiffer rim ;-)
  • kenan
    Supose its better to carry a little more weight than worry about the wheels.

Cheers for the help SS
  • R0B75
    R0B75 Posts: 376
    I had this exact discussion with myself before I bought my Flows on SS hubs. I'm the wrong side of 14 stones so for peace of mind I went with the Flows, but at your weight I might have gone with the the Crests. You won't be disappointed with either but you could probably get away with Crest for all mountain unless you're lots of jumps/drops offs etc
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Aye, I agree with all this, the Arch is probably the best choice... But the Flow's strong like ox, and not heavy so it's still not a bad option at all.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    If I'm 80kgs and looking at wheels for a 150mm trail bike (North Wales, Scotland runs) would the Arch's do me? I don't do 6 foot drop or anything that crazy, only usually a few feet off the ground at the most. I do like to keep things light if possible, but of course I don't want them breaking either...
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    As long as the wheel build's decent, then sure. TBH you'd probably be fine on a Crest but you'd lose the margin for error (every wheel I've ever owned has been strong enough til I did something retarded tbh, but a distinguished few have proved retard-proof)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    supersonic wrote:
    Pity they don't have the Arch.

They do the new Arch EX rim its right at the bottom of the drop down list
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I've the crests on ProIIs and the Flows on Evo and have to say I'm very impressed by both. The Flow build is light enough I'd say for most everyday riding, the extra width gives you more option for tyres too. The Crests whilst light and fairly strong won't support a nice wide tyre which you might like from time to time if you're a proper Am rider. I'd go with the Flows if I was to have one set of wheels.

edit - but then I also do quite a bit of DH, big drops, gaps, and trips to the Alps so they'd have to be my choice. For anyone not hitting bigger stuff the Arch seems perfect.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Flows every time for anything but XC, more down to being able to run decent width tyres in their correct profile than them being stronger (although I'm sure they are that to).