Rear shock choice.

VWsurfbum
VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have a dilema, i need a 184mm rear shock. not much in the way of choice.
Two bargain ones i've found Lock out XC for my racing? OR Do it all
I have a Ario as a spare thats on their at the moment, but a decent fox one is non existent? i would like a over pricedRP23 :(

Any suggestions and or reviews on the Monarch shocks? (i've read the one on the main site)

Cheers peeps
Kazza the Tranny
Now for sale Fatty

Comments

• leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Got a monarch RT3 on the titus atm(it came with the frame) and have had no issues thus far. It just works as it should. The reports have been that the damping on the monarch is superior to the rp23 (as good as a push tuned rp23, a push tuned monarch would be even better), and that overall it is a better shock than last years rp23. See the last post in this thread:http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/rockshox-monarch-rt3-679328.html
    However, with the new kashima coating and low friction seals, the 2012 rp23 seems to just edge it, with better small bump sensitivity etc.

The bottom line seems to be that if you can afford the new 2012 rp23, go for it. However, the monarch will do the job almost as well, and in some applications will probably be better due to the more sophisticated damping. If its between a 2011 monarch or 2011 rp23, go for the monarch
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Great, cheers for that.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty