Reading, Berkshire training buddies???

Rockhopper_Vet
Rockhopper_Vet Posts: 8
edited February 2012 in MTB rides
Hi everybody,

Just got back into the saddle after a 10 year lay-off and found my legs do still work – just! Is there anybody in the Reading/Henley area looking to get some road miles in during the week days or weekends? I want to stick mainly to the road at the moment to get my fitness back but always up for getting dirty too! I’ll be on my lovely ’98 model Rockhopper but don’t let that put you off! Also, what is the MTB/CXSportive scene like in the Reading area?

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    post in the rides thread and you will find plenty. The london calling chaps tend to do swinley fairly frequently
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    May be worth checking out the CTC - http://www.readingctc.co.uk/rides I think they are a good group. I am just working out the best ride to join them on. I am guessing you are in Caversham? Most of my riding is West of Reading as thats where I live. Might meet you at the CTC some time though.
  • Thanks for both your replies - I'll try both suggetions. Yep, I'm in Caversham and fairly new to Reading area but finding some nice lanes and tracks over this side.
  • I'm also Reading based, Tilehurst. The best areas i've found are North and West of central Reading around Goring Pangbourne, Sonning Common leading into the Chiltern Hills. Its mostly fireroads, towpaths and climbs with the odd bit of singletrack. XC style riding really. Not scary so not really my thing which is why i have to travel to ride.
    Look into Evans Cycles Reading RideIt event if you want to get some local off road knowledge.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    MTB is good if you head a little south.. From Caversham, Swinley is about 25 minutes, and Tunnel hill/Frith another 15 south of that. All accessible by train if you prefer not to drive. Even further south look at getting to Peaslake and box hill for both road and off road goodness in the surrey hills. Again, easily accesible by train, but about an hour by car from cav.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • I ride with http://www.readingctc.co.uk/rides/ there is a lot of mountain biking north of Reading. Once a month there is an off road ride listed as 'Easy' which is a good tester if you don't know how you'll get on. But you'll never get left behind whatever ride you go on.

I haven't ridden with the road group but I know they have a selection of rides available. If you're unsure then just go on on of the easier rides first and you can always go on a longer one next time.

John
  • Hi John,

Yes, I plan on going out with CTC this Sunday all being well (trapped nerve in back at mo) so may see you there? I think it's a 20 miler so think I should be OK for that. Looking forward to getting out as it's been many years since riding in a group.

Many thanks to others for your suggestions too. I plan on trying it all!

Mark.