Canyon Nerve XC 9.0

stantheman206
stantheman206 Posts: 106
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Anyone got one?? thinking of buying the XC 9.0 :-) . Amazing spec for the money but £2K for something I won't see until it arrives on the door step!

Has anyone got one of the these and I suppose the most common question is coming...... the size. I'm just under 6 ft and 84kg. Currently own an 18inch modified Kona Caldera. i reckon i'm borderline medium/large.

Has anyone found another bike with similar geometry that i could test before i buy the canyon. I've been looking at all other major brands but haven't found another bike close enough yet .

Any advise would be great thanks

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    edited February 2012
    more to do with your inseam and reach rather than height, im just over 6ft 1'' with an inseam of 34.5'' and i have a large AM 6 which is perfect for me,there's a few guys in this thread viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12789920 that have the xc version, may be worth dropping one or two of them a line
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    My inside leg is 31 and I went for a Medium AM having tried a mates and it fits perfectly, it is a little bigger than my medium GT Avalanche was which is good for me, Canyon's website suggested a small for me I glad I got to try first.
  • cubicboy
    cubicboy Posts: 117
    I posted this recently:

I have just bought a Nerve XC 9.0 SL... I had the urge to splurge.
    After spending most of the Xmas holiday on the Canyon site I chose the XC as it matched the kind of riding that I planned to do. The next step was to get an idea of sizing: this was exhaustive, with hours and hours spent trawling forums and trying to compare geometries. Even though Canyon have an online sizing calculator I contacted their UK rep direct to get his opinion. His response was rapid, well-informed and very helpful. Having said that, his recommendation was a large (I'm 6ft) but I still had doubts. I posted a topic here on the MTB forum and got an immediate response from a guy who's 6'1"... who rides a medium. So, I have a medium, and I have to say that it's perfect and something akin to a 'medium plus' or a small large. A close friend also bought an AL hardtail in medium and he's also 6ft (although his seat post is too short).
    I ordered the bike and it came within a week in a very solid box. Assembly was very simple (although I do know a decent amount about bikes). One of the really exciting bits of the buying process is tracking the delivery via UPS, which takes two days. Out on the trials I'm yet to come across another one, but they'll probably be like buses.
    The ride quality is fantastic and you're making a saving of over 30% against other brands. It looks a million dollars in my eyes too... nothing at all like a 'budget' brand. Buy one.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    cubicboy wrote:
    I have a medium, and I have to say that it's perfect and something akin to a 'medium plus' or a small large.

A perfect way to describe the sizing to be honest.
  • streetvw
    streetvw Posts: 164
    I have a medium 2011 Nerve XC7 I'm 5'9" and with a 32" inside leg and the medium is just right for me so looks like from what others have said that anyone between 5'8" and 6'1" is about right for the medium (dependant on inside leg :? )
    2011 Canyon Nerve XC7 viewtopic.php?t=12765275
  • cubicboy
    cubicboy Posts: 117
    streetvw wrote:
    I have a medium 2011 Nerve XC7 I'm 5'9" and with a 32" inside leg and the medium is just right for me so looks like from what others have said that anyone between 5'8" and 6'1" is about right for the medium (dependant on inside leg :? )

This is of course such a personal thing. All that I'd like to add is that I like quite small (compact) frames coming from a road riding background. On that basis, I quite like to be slightly big on a smaller bike than small on a larger bike. For me, the medium is perfect. I live in Nottingham if you want to see the bike or a can post a pic with me on it (which would be nice!).
  • Thanks for your replies. As Canyans are still reasonably rare i don't anticipate anyone living near to Norwich who owns one i can look at. Is there another bike out there with similar Geometry I can sit on and try out. I'm coming form a hardtail so I think the sizing and feel will be completely different. I did have a full sus kona but this was years ago !!

A pic of your 9.0SL would be good to see too!!
  • I am a quarter of an inch of 6ft with 31 inside leg and a medium (18.5). I have ridden large specialized before and they have always been slightly too big but this is perfect.