Crudcatcher / raceguards - fix them to frame?

aongo
aongo Posts: 28
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there, recently purchased a set of crudcatcher / raceguard mud-guards - am very happy with them so far...

One gripe with the rear Raceguard though is that it only attaches to the seatpost - as I like to raise and drop the saddle on my bike easily, therefore had to mount the raceguard quite high on the post, under the saddle, making it very far from the wheel and not as effective (and looks daft, way up in the air)...

There's space underneath the seatpost clamp on the frame for this bracket, but current bracket is too narrow a diameter for the frame's seat-tube, but another couple of mm's would do the trick?
Messed with it, but it ain't going to happen...

Wondering if anyone else had this problem and solved it? Contacted the company as well...

Thanks a million!
A

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If the frame is to big (and all but steel at 28.6mm will be) it is seatpost only......

You could try a shim and then a smaller diameter seatpost and put the guard mount round the not fully inserted shim, not sure if that would work.....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Have you tried it with no shim?

I had a bit of a frank exchance of views with Crud last year over the new design of the mudguards, and one of the results was they sent me loads of free bits to fix my guards. And one of those was an oversized seatpost clamp for massive seatposts. So might be worth speaking to them to see if they have any more of those, as it'd probably be exactly what you need.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • aongo
    Thanks for the help guys!
    I think I see what you're getting at Simon...

Mine came with 3 shims of varying thicknesses, but haven't had to use any of these... wouldn't have thought that my seatpost was particularly thick, so was surprised... can understand why you would want an "oversized" clamp Northwind... will talk to them!
  • aongo
    I heard back from Crudcatcher, but no dice:

Hi A
    Sorry, no larger sizes, although we use a maveric seatpost, works great
    Best Regards
    Mr CRUD

Worth trying with the Mrs. though - "yes dear, I spent €300 on this new dropper seatpost, but my arm was twisted because my €15 mudguard sits too high, see?" - am I the only one that this does not sound unreasonable too? :)