Horrible noise from brakes

Kerrmit1992
Kerrmit1992 Posts: 275
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

When I pull the rear brake I get a horrible squealing noise, and also the brake lever comes in quite far.

I'm guessing I just need new pads? Would worn out pads make this noise?

Thanks
Craig :)
Mountain biking is the bicycle version or rallying, except you don't need a Co-Driver!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Could do. Look. at them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Brakes make a noise, the squeal is usually at the resonant frequency of the disc, different pads can make a difference, sintered pads are worst, worn pads would be stiffer still (less damping), of course if the pad is worn to the metal backplate that is the worst possible scenario, but a squeal does not necesarily mean you have a 'fault'.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Forgot to mention there is a lot of vibration to :O
    Mountain biking is the bicycle version or rallying, except you don't need a Co-Driver!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Warped (or otherwise distorted) disc?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have a read of the Formula guide to disc noises in the FAQs to give you an idea as to the issue.

Some brake combos just make noise.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I have had the bike a year though and it only started doing it last week :O ... I have never changed anything on it yet?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I have had the bike a year though and it only started doing it last week :O ... I have never changed anything on it yet?
    well it might be time to start looking at it and see what is going on.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I once had terrible vibration from some shimano Deore brakes - to the point where I could see the the forks flexing a good inch back and forth under braking. finally tracked it down to the wavy rotor I had "upgraded" to. Put the standard one back on and problem solved. the wave spacing must have matched the resonant frequency of the system.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Worn pads would account for noise and lever movement.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools