Pleasantly Suprised

squibnocket
squibnocket Posts: 207
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
I wanted to check the weight of my newly purchased RT-57 that i've upgraded with some KCNC parts I'll (but still not ridden as I'm waiting for some better weather). So I jumped on the scales with the bike 89.6 Kg I then reset the scales and got weighed again minus the bike 83 Kg. I didn't know what to expect but I was suprised it was so light at 6.6Kg :D

It did leave a bit of doubt in my mind if I'd done it right.............is this how other users weigh their bikes?

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    then reset the scales

jump on holding object you wish to weigh. then drop / put down object. take difference between two weights.

not sure what restting the scales amounts to, but you don't want to be farting about with the scales in between weighings if you want an accurate result.

regardless of whether its 6.6kg or not, if you wnat to cycle faster, at 83kg, you could do with losing a kg or two you chubby chubbster. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    thats not particularly chubby if hes a big bloke, maybe if hes 5'6". i wouldnt be surprised bathroom scales are a random device with poor mechanisms. they change if you stand slightly differently.
  • t4tomo
    rake wrote:
    thats not particularly chubby if hes a big bloke, maybe if hes 5'6". i wouldnt be surprised bathroom scales are a random device with poor mechanisms. they change if you stand slightly differently.

Whhooooooooooooooooosh
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I was going to weigh my bike the other week so I took off the bottles, saddle bag, lights, pump and was going to take off the mudguards too...then I thought, what's the point? When I ride the bike for long rides I have 1 kg of water, lights, computer, a saddle wedge with spare things/tools in, loads of food stuffed in my back pockets along with phone, pacamac, etc., etc. Hence, whatever the scales tell me would mean didly squat compared to what I actually lug up a hill, not forgetting what I weigh to which is a lot more than 7 kg (but still less than 85 :) ).
  • oops
  • t4tomo wrote:
    then reset the scales

jump on holding object you wish to weigh. then drop / put down object. take difference between two weights.

not sure what restting the scales amounts to, but you don't want to be farting about with the scales in between weighings if you want an accurate result.

regardless of whether its 6.6kg or not, if you wnat to cycle faster, at 83kg, you could do with losing a kg or two you chubby chubbster. :D

Just read your reply and I am still laughing.lmao
  • jim55
    jim55 Posts: 93
    i just bought a luggage weighing hand tool (a spring balance )£2,,,to weigh my ss its just under ten k ,,my good road bike is about 8.7,,,its brilliant ,,im weighing everything about the house :D
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Have a big dump before you go out on the bike. Save you more weight than a full pro kit upgrade.

See I've just saved you about £1200.
  • +1 for pre ride dumpage
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    That sounds like a load of crap to me
  • Great replies LMAO at some of them, I did make an error in weighing the bike tho, I was fully dressed with a pocket full of two pound coins, wearing a heavy wristwatch, just eaten a curry an hour before and no dump in 3 days :lol:

Seriously tho I'm 6ft 2" never been overweight but still happy with the bike.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Navrig wrote:
    Have a big dump before you go out on the bike. Save you more weight than a full pro kit upgrade.

See I've just saved you about £1200.

Unless shopping makes you constipated, there's nothing to stop you buying the full pro kit upgrade and having a big dump....... :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • t4tomo
    jim55 wrote:
    i just bought a luggage weighing hand tool (a spring balance )£2,,,to weigh my ss its just under ten k ,,my good road bike is about 8.7,,,its brilliant ,,im weighing everything about the house :D

Jim please weigh your pre-ride dump and report back.
    We'll then have factual evidence on whether its more effective than expensive components for weight loss.

@ Squibnocket - I hope you took my humour in the manor in which it was intended. ;)
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    t4tomo wrote:

Jim please weigh your pre-ride dump and report back.
    Probably best not to use the spring balance for this.
    Surely the only truly accurate way of doing this is to stand on the scales whilst nature is taking its course. The indicated weight would then change accordingly. Assuming of course that you have removed your pro-kit shorts first. :oops:
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • @ Squibnocket - I hope you took my humour in the manor in which it was intended. ;)[/quote]

I sure did !

Thinking of trying a diet consisting of meat supplied from Contadors butcher and prunes. :lol: