creaking from rear of bike

TRUFFLER 1
TRUFFLER 1 Posts: 23
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Creaking from Rear of bike please help!
It is a giant anthem x3 approx three years old with a fox RP2 rear shock, the noise is a creak or a clicking sound. It is there when you are free wheeling and pedalling when seated, it is NOT there when you get out of the saddle and move your weight over the handle bars, pedal or free wheel in this position it does not give a creak. I thought saddle ! but swapped saddle from second bike onto anthem and noise is still there!!!! Have checked as many bearing bolts as I can get at and they are all tight. if you compress the suspension by leaning on the saddle it does not make a sound, also if you lock the shock out it makes no difference. There is no play in the shock bushes, I'm out of ideas has anyone had a similar problem ?

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    could be any number of things.

bottom bracket.
    crank.
    pedal.
    suspension (bearings)

when was the bike last serviced,
    how old is the bb
    what type of crank is it.
  • Ghostt
    Ghostt Posts: 192
    Is it just a mountain bike making mountain bike noises?
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot
  • it had a new bottom bracket a approx 2 mounths ago, think it was a hope one. it had to go back to have metal spacers fitted instead of the plastic ones they first fitted. the pedals are new ish nice xt spuds, and the cranks are shirmarno slx ones. It sounds alot worse than "mountain bike noises" it does my head in, you can even hear it over my ipod
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Check your seatpost, bearings especially the lower link ones, bb (which you have) crank arms, pedals, chainring bolts.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • 1mancity2
    TRUFFLER 1 wrote:
    it had a new bottom bracket a approx 2 mounths ago, think it was a hope one. it had to go back to have metal spacers fitted instead of the plastic ones they first fitted. the pedals are new ish nice xt spuds, and the cranks are shirmarno slx ones. It sounds alot worse than "mountain bike noises" it does my head in, you can even hear it over my ipod

When was the last time you cleaned your seatpost and frame out? alot of clicking cracking noises have come from my seatpost flexing in the tube, clean, light lube, wipe clean.
  • thanks for the last post. When i stripped things down the paint under the saet post clamp had been worn away, cleaned this down and re painted it but havnt got round to re-building and testing yet. fingers crossed.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I haven't noticed anyone say rear QR yet, so let me. Any dirt that gets between the frame and QR/hub clamping surfaces can cause creaks (if you've removed the wheel to repair a puncture or fit the bike in a car, for example). For me it's one of the most common causes besides the seatpost.
  • delcol
    slx cranks......

chack the bolts that hold the non driveside crank arm on.. if they slightly loose these can creak...

also did yogrease the threads on the pedals when they were fitted...
  • d00m
    d00m Posts: 160
    I've had this when rear suspension bearings seize solid and the spacers between bearing and frame end up rotating with the swingarm.

Worth checking, its due a service by now!
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    warpcow wrote:
    I haven't noticed anyone say rear QR yet, so let me. Any dirt that gets between the frame and QR/hub clamping surfaces can cause creaks (if you've removed the wheel to repair a puncture or fit the bike in a car, for example). For me it's one of the most common causes besides the seatpost.

+1 - My creaky bike turned out to be the rear qr. Was a hope one and had to be fastened really tight to stop it so I swapped it for a 10mm superstar axle.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Cheers for all the posts got plenty to get on with checking now. it is due a service but not to keen on taking it to LBS as apart from cleaning it never to sure what they do apart from give me a big bill fingers crossed its nothing to big :|
  • I suspect bearings myself, I had the same issue on my former Felt Compulsion 2SE
    You can source and replace the bearings yourself, I do recommend buying branded bearings like SKF and also investing in a bearing puller.
    It shouldn't be more than a few hours work with the right tools on hand
  • d00m
    d00m Posts: 160
    I suspect bearings myself, I had the same issue on my former Felt Compulsion 2SE
    You can source and replace the bearings yourself, I do recommend buying branded bearings like SKF and also investing in a bearing puller.
    It shouldn't be more than a few hours work with the right tools on hand

If they're blind bearings, you can improvise a bearing puller with a threaded bar, some nuts, washere, and some appropriately sized sockets.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    First thing is just a thorough clean and oil/grease the relevant parts (anything that moves and should move). Dab of oil around the pivot points may be enough without having to pull them apart.

If pulling apart the suspension, if sealed bearings you may be able to get away with clean, grease and put them back in. My old GT creaked frequently and the bearings were fine, just muck used to get into the housing. But that system was relatively easy to pull apart and clean/grease. Would be fine for a good while once done but had to do it every 3 to 6 months. Never replaced the bearings though.
  • Cheers for the help, had a good look at the bike yesterday and it was the BEARINGS nearly all of them have gone the lower one behind the crank rings was jammed solid and would not rotate whle the others were as rough as a badgers bum! And full of muck. As a temp fix I have poped the seals out and cleaned and greased them. Can any surgeuest Where I can get good replacement bearings and what tool is needed to take slx cranks off
    '6902vrs. 6900vrs. 6380vrs. 6802vrs. Cheers
  • 1mancity2
    to take your crank off you need a 5mm allen key and a soft faced hammer, un bolt the two pinch bolts flick the spacer out and pull the arm off, tap the crank out with hammer.

bearings, www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk or ebay or dealer.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    There's also these guys http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/ pretty local to me and seem to have a good rep, actually moving next door to my works on monday so I'll be trying them myself soon as I need any more bearings.
  • delcol
    Dodge t you are fooking legend,,,, i now have somewere local to go for my bearings...
    thank you thank you thank you.. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :P :P :P