Information on cycling and technology, or sports and tech?

willhub
willhub Posts: 821
edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
Hi.

Well I was marked down on my interim report due to the lack of academic references in my literature review, the reason for the lack is I can't really find much academic sources on the use of technology within cycling, perhaps I'm not looking right or something but I really am not finding much.

Don't suppose anyone knows of any books or journals that talk about the use of cycling and technology in general, or talk about certain things like the use of certain devices such as power meters, their benefits, training conducted and results etc... They have to be academic though.

Thanks.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Surely your report should be based on the literature reviewed, and then referenced?
    You can't just tag some on afterwards.

But apart from that, do your own homework.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Someone marked you down and you're in Iran - can't you just shoot them and blame the Taliban

(hehe that rhymes)
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • willhub
    cooldad, clearly you don't know what a dissertation is, you need to go and do some research.

An interim report is not the final thing (note the word "interim")

The literature review and research methods sections of this does not need to be complete for the interim report.

There is nothing wrong with asking if anyone knows of any academic sources, I've being search for quite a while and found nothing, so it does not hurt to ask.

I was naive in thinking I'd get any sensible comments from BR, but it was worth a try.
  • ah, come here, give us a hug you big lummox

Well after one search I came up with this

maybe old, i don't know, but isually as you know in research you can follow the trail of others refernces

this
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    'Technology' is quite an ambiguous term. I'm sure you could find an absolute shit-load of information regarding different materials technology directly relating to cycling, from bike manufacture to clothing etc...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • willhub
    My dissertation title is:

An exploration into the use of technology for cycle fitness training.

The introduction explains that I am looking at apparatus such as power meters, gps, HRM etc... and their use for increasing fitness, I will then be looking at research via questionnaires to determine what people really think on these and also to determine their popularity.
  • willhub wrote:
    My dissertation title is:

An exploration into the use of technology for cycle fitness training.

The introduction explains that I am looking at apparatus such as power meters, gps, HRM etc... and their use for increasing fitness, I will then be looking at research via questionnaires to determine what people really think on these and also to determine their popularity.

Then I would suggest that you search in sport science journals - rather than specific cycle literature. Google Scholar search can be a useful means of finding scientific literature.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    willhub wrote:
    cooldad, clearly you don't know what a dissertation is, you need to go and do some research.

An interim report is not the final thing (note the word "interim")

The literature review and research methods sections of this does not need to be complete for the interim report.

There is nothing wrong with asking if anyone knows of any academic sources, I've being search for quite a while and found nothing, so it does not hurt to ask.

I was naive in thinking I'd get any sensible comments from BR, but it was worth a try.
    Nope, did my masters long enough ago to have forgotten the procedure.
    Anyway all I really wanted to do is tell you to do your own homework.
    Which I did, so I'm happy.

But one 'sensible' comment - your title is ambiguous, could be trying to find out what makes the cycle fit, as opposed to the cyclist.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools