Commuting Rims

ToeKnee
ToeKnee Posts: 376
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
I'm not happy with my commuting wheels (CXP22) and want something lighter/better. Weighing 94kg (but going down) limits my choice hence I'm considering handbuilts. According to Strava, on my 20+ mile commute, I climb ~800ft.

What are people's view of IRD Cadence Aero (465g) -v- Velocity A23 (426g)? Should I be considering anything else?
Seneca wrote:
It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.

Comments

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    They seem quite pricey for commuting wheels - obviously if you're happy spending the money then go for it, but the benefits of a £500 wheel over a £200 wheel (for example) will be totally lost on the average commute. Have a look at the Planet X Model C wheelset. Relatively light and very strong, and very good value for money.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Sketchley is the man for this question. There is a lot of him and he has been through a few wheelsets before finding one that works for him. It may not be the lightest wheelset or cheapest solution in the short-term, but BCBT.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • I was in similar position, I was put off Fulcrum due to the rider weight limits, my Askium had a fault and rim wear so I pick up a RS80 wheelset for £300 Shimano do not put the same caveats as Fulcrum, cannot give you a report on them due ot the weather!

http://triathlonwetsuitstore.com/shiman ... et-review/
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I was recommended DTswiss RR 585 rims by my LBS when looking into this and I'm about your weight.

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/store/dt-sw ... 5-rim.html

As it happens I went for the Mavic CXP-33 and I really like them.

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wheel ... 88crx.aspx
  • Similar weight, similar ride and I fitted RS80s (about £300 too when I got them a year ago from Merlin) and they've been great. In fact the only issue I've had with them is that the spoke nipples seized according to the LBS so some preventative lube is a good idea. They improved the ride of my Cayo (over the stock RS10s) no end.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Someone will be along to mention hand built Open Pros very shortly.
  • At your weight either CXP 33's or DTswiss 585's. I've ridden the 33's a lot when hovering around the 95kg mark and never had a problem. Never heard a bad word said about the 585's and would like to try them.

That said, my favourite commuting wheels have been my CXP 22's, they just work very very well and are still as true as ever after well over a year over heavy commuting use. For my commuting it's a case of if it aint broke don't fix it. But on a weekend I'll bring out the hand-built Open Pro's - they're just brilliant!!
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I have 32 spoke Rigida DP18s on Ultegra Hubs built by Harry Rowland. I weigh 112kgs. Had them 9 months and 2,500 miles and they are perfect true etc. Note they are not that light but that isn't what I wanted, I wanted strong and no flexing.

I'd recommend to anyone with these questions to phone a good wheel builder and talk them. If they don't ask how much you weigh and how and where you ride then go somewhere else.

Harry is a nice bloke phone him and have a chat.

Also consider wider tyres not only will they spread the load better ad reduce strain on the rim but I also got 1 to 2 mph quicker by moving from 25s to 28s but that's another story....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Someone will be along to mention hand built Open Pros very shortly.
    i was going to suggest them :lol:
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    I'll say Aksiums.

Cheap and very reliable wheel. Since I bought the bike last feb (second hand), i've put about 5,000 miles under these wheels. Still true, don't weight "that" much. If people use them on cross bikes they're good enough for commuting I think.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I had rigida chrinas on my old bike solid and not too heavy, no real problems in about 8000 miles
    the built was a bit crappy too so some well built ones would be even better I suspect.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I got some Halo Aerorages for Christmas for my commuter. I'm 83 kilos (13 stone in old money). They're going fine so far, lighter than my previous ones and survived going down some steps that I didn't see coming as I was faffing about with my lights. :shock:
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Twostage wrote:
    I got some Halo Aerorages for Christmas for my commuter. I'm 83 kilos (13 stone in old money). They're going fine so far, lighter than my previous ones and survived going down some steps that I didn't see coming as I was faffing about with my lights. :shock:
    I think there's a pair of these for sale in the For Sale forum right now.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I go cheaper for commuting wheels opting for more rliable kit.

I had a set of RS10s before, which had dead rims afrer 3k miles, and a broken spoke after about 1.5k.

Im now running a set of open sport rims 32 spoke built on a tiagra front hub and 105 rear. They are about 1 year old and done around 4k miles and are still OK, but rims are showin signes of wear and will need replacing in a year or less.

The benifit is I can rerim these wheels for a very small outlay.

However much id like to blow £300 on RS80s/planet x super wheels/whatever, the commute would trash them too quickly!
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,996
    Open pros. Everyone sells them, easy to replace. Light and a 105/32h build is just about the perfect commuting wheel if the are built right.

I had a set of the Velocity v3's about 10 years ago and I found the brake track a bit uneven.

You could also do worse than an equivalent Ambrosio. Good enough for Roubaix.