New Brakes

hainman
hainman Posts: 699
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
im currently running hayes stroker trail hydraulics on my rockrider 9.1 but looking to buy new ones.
seen some shimano deore's(new model) and avid elixir 3's.
will these be a step up from what im running just now or should i stick with my hayes ?
thanks craig
Giant Reign 2
Crohnie

Comments

• What are your reasons for wanting to change?

I used to use Hayes Stroker Trails 180/203 but always found the feel too wooden and not progressive enough for me, I bought a set of Deore M535's for my commuter bike and loved the feel but they didn't feel as if they would last as long as the hayes (maybe down to the resin pads in the deores) so I bought XT M785s with trail pads & 160/180 IceTek rotors to replace the Hayes and I'm now a very happy bunny and will stick to my current setup.

I must point out that there was nothing wrong with my Hayes (they always stopped me) and I only changed because they didn't give me the feel I wanted, I could have bought 2012 style Deore or SLX but got a reasonable deal on the XT's

Matthew
  • hainman
    hey matt.they are constantly squealing.its driving me nuts.
    i had the old slx's on my last bike and they were awesome and easier to maintain.i was out at the weekend and had to take the wheels of to travel and all day i had this horrid shreiking.will prob go to rose bikes for some deores or slx's...
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Squealing is common to just about every brand. Only contact is pads to rotors so caliper etc makes no difference.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sintered pads will squeal more, as you've got bits of metal against metal.

Organic pads are much quieter, but they wear out faster. In some conditions they can be destroyed in just one ride. That said, though I'd always had sintered, my new brakes came with organic and they've been lasting a fair while even in winter and I do appreciate the quietness. Slightly better feel to them too. Some wearing out now though and it's back to good and cheap Superstar sintered + Haribo.

Wonder about buying loads of cheap organic though and just change more frequently.
  • My Deore organic pads are quiet in the dry but howl when wet, my sintered are quiet when dry but squeak when wet.

All will squeal/squeak at some point
  • hainman
    Thanks for your input guys,my last brakes(slx's)where awfull quiet compared to these ones.
    might try order new pads and see how they fare that way.back isn't as bad since I got new superstar pads,
    At one point it was so bad I thought my wheel was coming off,
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie