9 speed??

smidsy
smidsy Posts: 5,273
edited February 2012 in Workshop
My bike has 9 speed Shim flightdeck levers and corresponding 9 speed shim rear cassette. I want to upgrade components but looking around most stuff that comes up seems to be 10 speed.

My question is - is 9 speed seen as old hat and 10 speed current or is it just that 10 speed is more common?
Yellow is the new Black.

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Shimano have been moving to 10 speed across the range of groupsets for the last 10 years and today only Sora in the 'named' groupsets is 9 speed. Dura Ace will soon go to 11 speed for 2013 (available second half of 2012) and no doubt 11 speed will flow down to the other groupsets over time as well as Di2 which is already on Dura Ace and Ultegra.

If my memory and googling are correct then:

Dura Ace has been 10 speed since 2003 (7800 and 7900)
    Ultegra has been 10 speed since 2005 (6600 and 6700)
    105 has been 10 speed since 2007 (5600 and 5700)
    Tiagra has been 10 speed since 2011 (4600)
    Sora has been 9 speed since 2008 (3400)

So any 9 speed components will be old stock. It can still be found though. Up until someone relieved me of my old BMC by chopping the lock last summer I ran 9 speed Ultegra 6500. Chains were no problem as most mountain bike are 9 speed and by shopping around i was still able to buy new octalink BB's, a chainset, a rear derailleur and new hoods in 2010 so keep your eyes open and you may find some bargains!
  • smidsy
    Very informative reply, thanks.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • schweiz
    You're welcome.

You don't say what you're upgrading from and to but to help with your searching, the last 9 speed groupsets were:

Dura Ace 7700
    Ultegra 6500
    105 5500
    Tiagra 4500
  • smidsy
    Brill, cheers.

I currently have tiagra levers, ultegra front mech, ultegra brake calipers and dura ace rear mech.

Looking to update the levers as they are looking tatty and are the lowest spec item.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    You may be able to pick up some D/A 9 speed levers dirt cheap if you look around because they aren't 10 speed. Rear mechs and levers are the main things that will make a difference, just make sure that the brakes and levers are the same model year for ratio compatibility.
  • smidsy
    Now this is confusing.

Brakes (calipers) are ultegra but no idea what year (came on used bike).

Its the sti (brake) levers I want to replace.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • schweiz
    For brakes it recommended by Shimano (but not essential) to match the brake callipers with the levers. Different brake levers have different amounts of cable pull. So if you have 6500 callipers then you should get 6500 levers but seeing as you have tiagra levers and ultegra brakes this has obviously not been a problem for you in the past. You can always set it up so it works safely and with good modulation, it's just not how Shimano intended it to feel.

All rear derailleurs since 8 speed work on 8, 9 or 10 speed systems as the total range of travel of the mech is the same and the indexing is in the lever, not the derailleur. I have used 6500 levers with 6500, 6600 and 6700 rear derailleurs.
  • smidsy
    Once again schweiz you clear it up nicely, cheers dude.

Thanks to other posters too, all helpful.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    If you really want new STIs (levers) then now may be the time to go 10sp. STIs are the most expensive item and you only need to change the chain and cassette as well. The rest of your kit will work fine with 10sp. It is only the latest 7900 (Dura-ace) and 6800 (Ultegra) STIs that have a different brake cable pull. These are shown as compatible but not ideal for use with earlier brakes on the Shimano chart.
    http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/nl/index/tech_support/faq_s/compatibility.download.-Par70parsys-0024-downloadFile.html/Road_charts_2009.pdf
  • smidsy
    Thanks John.

Yeas had considerd it but don't like too many gears and 10's and 11's cassettes wear quicker than 8's or 9's.

Also only just put new 9 speed chain on at £30. :roll:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Last year's 105 were incompatible with previous brakes as well: they work but feel dead and wooden and probably don't work as well as Shimano intended.

If you go 10 speed levers then no need to change aything else: I use 10 speed levers and rear mech on a 9 speed cassette because I am skint and can't afford to upgrade.

FYIW, no need to spend £30 on a chain - KMC ones at £12 (CRC prices) are excellent
  • I'm upgrading my bike to ten speed and was wondering if I need a new rear mech? Its a tiagra from 2008. I notice the new ones are nine and ten speed compatible so wondering if the same was true for my nine speed rear mech.
    Cheers
    Andy
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    andy777 wrote:
    I'm upgrading my bike to ten speed and was wondering if I need a new rear mech? Its a tiagra from 2008. I notice the new ones are nine and ten speed compatible so wondering if the same was true for my nine speed rear mech.
    It will work fine until you want to change it. The only 'must haves' are shifters, cassette and chain.
  • Thanks John I have the shifters so just need a cassette and chain.

Cheers

Andy