Helmet Cam Recommendation please

berliner
berliner Posts: 340
edited February 2012 in Commuting general
Helmet Cam Recommendation please
Its probably been asked before but seems to be so mny on the market. I'm looking for something under £100 probably barrel shape. ££

Comments

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Would you be satisfied with VGA or want it to be 720p or 1080p?
    FCN 2 to 8
  • It's a little over your budget, but I've just got a Contour Roam that I'm very happy with. It was the least expensive camera I could find that I thought would survive commuting and produce usable footage at night, and that seems to be the case.
  • http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/dogcam-bul ... amera.html

That was my 1st camera, terrible at night, okay in the day - does a job. Ended up buying a Contour Roam, not used it much yet - its really heavy! Thinking about getting a bar mount for it .
  • Hijack hijack :)

What would you recommend to use on road rides too, including 'once in a lifetime' type moments in 1080 as well as a commuter cam?

I think Im looking at light weight and a stealthy profile which puts the Hero2 out of the equation
    The Contour Roam looks my best compromise

Any thoughts?

Cheers
  • I too am looking for a helmet mounted video camera, inspired by cyclegaz to actually record my commute to cover myself in the case of an accident...and possibly use when I eventually get an MTB for on the go recording

Condour Roam looks very much the ticket...but £££ :(

But on the flip side....I'd rather have proof that it wasn't me...and actually get paid the ££ my bike's worth on insurance
  • Mr Plum

They can be had for circa £160 - fairly cheap considering the quality/package. Only a year ago you would have had to fork out about £250 for something of similar quality.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Mr Plum wrote:

They can be had for circa £160 - fairly cheap considering the quality/package.

It may well be an excellent piece of kit for the money - but £160 is still £160!!
    FWIW, when money allows I will most probably get one, spent too much on bikes recently :roll:
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum wrote:

They can be had for circa £160 - fairly cheap considering the quality/package.

It may well be an excellent piece of kit for the money - but £160 is still £160!!
    FWIW, when money allows I will most probably get one, spent too much on bikes recently :roll:

Yeah it is a fair chunk of cash, which is why I'm using a 720p (1280x720) key-chain type cam at the moment that I got off ebay for £25. Do a search on youtube for "808#11". Reasonable quality for the money and it only weighs about 30g so you don't notice it on your helmet at all. I use mine with an external battery pack so I can get up to 4 hours of use, otherwise the battery will only last about 30 mins. Been using it about 6 months now and can get usable footage at night - the only problem is that it isn't waterproof. No doubt that there will be a decent 1080p option for the same money within 6 months.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Thats incredible quaility for such a tiny object! Cheers for the tip. As you implied battery life would be a problem - what battery pack do you use?
  • This

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-SPORTS-P ... 19c6ea3818

a 4gig card and some Guerilla tape onto your lid, perfect for less than £20 all in, works for me.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • Mr Plum
    Thats incredible quaility for such a tiny object! Cheers for the tip. As you implied battery life would be a problem - what battery pack do you use?

This is what I have - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-DV-Key-Cha ... 2562770ec0

You should be able to find that bundle on the American eBay for about £33 after conversions...

Add an 8gb class 10 card and you can record for 2 hours. The quality is ok, and just that - it's not anywhere near as good as either the GoPro or Contour cameras but it's good for the money.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Cheers

I have to say, I'm blown away with how small but amazing that little camera is. I reckon for me, I'll save up though - £30 for the camera, £30 for the battery pack, dosen't take much to realise it's false economy (for me) as I'm going to use it alot - my commute will be 16.8 miles, so just over an hour either way + weekend ride descents etc etc

Hmm think I need a bigger piggy bank. Maybe a hoggy vault would be more appropiate.
  • Mr Plum
    Cheers

I have to say, I'm blown away with how small but amazing that little camera is. I reckon for me, I'll save up though - £30 for the camera, £30 for the battery pack, dosen't take much to realise it's false economy (for me) as I'm going to use it alot - my commute will be 16.8 miles, so just over an hour either way + weekend ride descents etc etc

Hmm think I need a bigger piggy bank. Maybe a hoggy vault would be more appropiate.

Yeah, it's probably worth saving for the Contour as it's better quality and waterproof, but for £40 for a 720p camera + 8gb card + battery pack, the option is there for a reasonable quality cheap alternative - it's less than 20% the price of the Contour Roam.

Ultimately it's what you're going to use the footage for...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Ended up buying a Contour Roam, not used it much yet - its really heavy!

I'm using a ContourHD and did notice the extra 125g initially on my neck muscles but now I don't notice it.
    Thinking about getting a bar mount for it .

I thought about this too when I got my Contour but the mounts available at the time weren't exactly nice looking so went with the vented helmet mount which gives the riders' eye pov, far better than a bar mount.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • berliner
    berliner Posts: 340
    Thanks for the feedback