Didn't heed the warning wobble

Garryboy
Garryboy Posts: 344
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
Went out early this morning (Glasgow) with good intentions of doing around 50 miles, did around 30 without incident then had a little back wheel wobble - should have heeded it - 1 min later, clatter - down on my side at around 15mph.

Black ice, just love it.

Rear mech took a belt and hanger is bent, hopefully new hanger will fix it and mech itself will be ok. :x

Took most of impact on my thigh which is nice and swollen and bruised - winter biking eh!

Comments

• carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    I stay in when there is ice around now, just not worth it. Dislocated and broke my shoulder following a fall on black ice last winter. Bike ended up with bent handlebar and a minor scratch.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Garryboy
    Yeah - annoyed I didnt go out later - lulled into false sense of security with it being 3 c

Think I got off fairly lightly and hoping new mech hanger is all I need

Will sufferfest next time.....
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Glad to hear you are generally ok there Garryboy, I would much rather a bent mech/hanger than a broken wrist/collarbone. Hope your thigh gets better quickly (regular ice packs for you but be careful over ice burns).

I was due to do a local audax today but took one look outside early doors and wrote it off. Ended up driving to west Wales to enjoy some snow/ice-free roads and temps of 7-8 deg. Felt like summer.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    If you need to ride outside when there is ice about, go for a mess about in the woods on the mountain bike instead! Epic fun when it's slippy!
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    anto164 wrote:
    If you need to ride outside when there is ice about, go for a mess about in the woods on the mountain bike instead! Epic fun when it's slippy!
    Yeah, if you REALLY need to go cycling, head for a place where the sun don't shine, the rain can't reach and ice will never form - 20 x the length of the Clyde Tunnel and back gives you a 20 mile ride.
    Get well, from another Weegie.
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    No point in risking the year ahead by riding in this at the moment. Stick with Terry Turbo until it go's then go nuts.
  • Garryboy wrote:
    had a little back wheel wobble - should have heeded it - 1 min later, clatter - down on my side at around 15mph.

Exactly the same - back wheel stepped out, turned to my mate and said "that was interesting". 30 secs we both lost it on a flat, straight bit. No real damage though, span my handlebars backwards which means there's a scratch on the frame but that's why I'm using my winter bike!
  • We were out in the 'shire yesterday. Got a bit hilly, and road conditions went from dry roads to 4" of snow and sheet ice. Took us an hour and a half to go 6 miles. Cut our intended 40 down to 30, watched Ireland get gubbed then caught the train home. Best decision ever (and not because I hate Ireland).
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • Garryboy
    Woodywmb wrote:
    anto164 wrote:
    Yeah, if you REALLY need to go cycling, head for a place where the sun don't shine, the rain can't reach and ice will never form - 20 x the length of the Clyde Tunnel and back gives you a 20 mile ride.
    Get well, from another Weegie.

Cheers - actually happened on A77 near Kilmaurs - apparantly temp is lower there than surrounding area!

Felling bit better today and new mech hanger on its way, fingers crossed :?
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    I now stay in Kilmaurs. The temperature got better as the day went on.
  • andrew 7
    andrew 7 Posts: 133
    You got off lightly , rode 8 mile to work just before Christmas , got 200 yds from the entrance hit some black ice went down heavy on my left hand side - resulting in a broken hip , at least 12 weeks off the bike but the surgeon indicated it could be upto 6 months , as you can guess im not happy .
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    andrew 7 wrote:
    You got off lightly , rode 8 mile to work just before Christmas , got 200 yds from the entrance hit some black ice went down heavy on my left hand side - resulting in a broken hip , at least 12 weeks off the bike but the surgeon indicated it could be upto 6 months , as you can guess im not happy .

Ditto, though it only happened a week ago. Which bit did you break? I've broken the greater trochanter. 6-8 weeks to heal apparently.
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    andrew 7 wrote:
    Ouch not good hope you heal quickly
  • Garryboy
    andrew 7 wrote:

Jeez sorry to hear that, get well and back on your bike soon
  • andrew 7
    andrew 7 Posts: 133
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    andrew 7 wrote:

Ditto, though it only happened a week ago. Which bit did you break? I've broken the greater trochanter. 6-8 weeks to heal apparently.

Ive broken the neck of the femur , just done 6 weeks none weight bearing on the damaged hip , now in to the 2nd stage , 6 weeks at 25% weight , then hopefully i can put full weight on it . Hoping to get on the turbo soon , just spinning small gears . best advice Ive had , dont rush things and listen to your surgeon / physio .
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    winter biking makes me nervy. a 5am start means no real option except to use the bike to get to work. luckily the whole way there is covered by a bus route and gets heavily gritted. i'm a bus driver by trade and the skills learnt from this as well as the generally very quiet roads on my journey mean you can sometimes spot the black ice. it's almost like coclo-x at the moment. only problem is given the mtb a once-over tonight and the back wheel looks like a banana. roadie for me until that's fixed. nervous times.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • I lost the back end on a side road chicane last Thursday. I didn't come off but it really made me wind my neck in a little for the rest of the journey. Luckily, I drive a rear wheel drive car too.

Surprisingly, today was much better as the roads were drier and no real frost came about last night even though my Garmin was telling me it was -2degC!
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    This time last year I was flying , then one afternoon came off on black ice ..... Ended up with a herniated disc bruised leg, torn Assos jacket and 2 badly scraped shifters. After 10 weeks off work I got back on the bike ,

It's just not worth it , I'd rather do a turbo session be bored stiff than go through lying on a quarry tiled floor in front of the fire watching daytime tv for weeks wishing I could walk properly let alone ride.

Just my feelings
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    . Luckily, I drive a rear wheel drive car too.
    whats that got to do with anything if you drive a marina.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    gwillis wrote:
    I was flying , came off on black ice
    clever.
  • I just found it difficult to modulate power whilst dialling in more opposite lock and staying off the brakes.

It was a joke... :roll:
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Zoomer37 wrote:
    No point in risking the year ahead by riding in this at the moment. Stick with Terry Turbo until it go's then go nuts.

Unless you have to commute, this is the by far the most sensible thing to do.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    rake wrote:
    gwillis wrote:
    clever.

What was clever about it? Jesus wept.
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    rake wrote:
    gwillis wrote:
    clever.

Flying in the sense my training was going well ..... But you constructive comment / post is also as you say clever