Garmin edge 200 or 500

The Man Chump
The Man Chump Posts: 81
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
What are your thoughts peeps
200 or 500.

I'm not too fussed with the heart rate monitor (Don't get on with the strap)

?

Comments

• richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Compared:
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do? ... duct=90675

Main difference is HR / Cadence & Power. If you don't need these then go for it - the saving is approx £24 at Handtec.
    Rich
  • What about the cadence sensor, or are you ever likely to get a power sensor?

I have the 500 (only had it a week or so), I find the extra data from the cadence and heart rate sensors adds another angle to the data. I'm really impressed with the thing so far.

Andy
  • Sorry i'm new to these thenigs. Cadence means?
  • pedal revs
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    For a beginner I think the 200 is fine. If you think you're going to start taking things more seriously in the future and/or if you're the sort of person who likes to obsess over stats anyway then maybe bite the bullet and go for the 500 now.

The 200 is just fine for me personally.
  • How does the cycle computer know your rpm? clever little beast! I'm saving up for one should be there in a couple of weeks. Mmm
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    I went through the same thought process a couple of months ago. In the end, I decided a) I didnt need the extra functionality of the 500 and b) if I did go for a 500 it would be way more expensive because of the extra sensors needed as I'd want them on all 4 bikes. It would drive me nuts not getting everything all the time. I havent regretted that decision. Others will be different though.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You have a magnet on the crank and a sensor usually on the chainstay. Thus the magnet passes the sensor once per revolution. Hence cadence.
  • What are you looking for in terms of data / info? Do you really need a GPS based unit?
    I got started with a cheapo bike computer from Tesco, with speed / distance / ave speed and cadence for the princely sum of £16.00 brand new. If you have a smart phone pop it in your back pocket to and use strava or run keeper to log rides etc.

As a newbie, don't dismiss cadence, having a cadence meter helped my technique massively.

It sounds like shelling out for a Garmin Edge at this stage might be a bit of a waste of money...?

*edited to say that if you are going to get one go for the 500. For the tiny difference in price you get functionality that one day in the future you might well find useful....!
    BMC SLC01 Cosmic Carbones
    Giant TCR2 Composite
    98 GT Zaskar LE
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/170436
  • I've just got mine, but I chose to have the 500 over the 200 because of the additional functionality of the courses. I didn't need a map-based GPS (i.e. edge 800), but I wanted something that had some basic turn by turn information. Whilst the 200 and 500 both have a courses option, the 500 has a screen with waypoints on it showing how far you are from next point which you have to turn which the 200 didn't appear to have.
    Neil Pryde Bura SL
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Yeah the massive difference between the 200 and 500 is surely the courses? I have a 705 and 500 and use both for following routes - the 500's breadcrumb trail is surprisingly easy to follow on-road and fine for navigating unfamiliar roads. I didn't think the 200 had any course display? Personally if I didn't want courses I'd probably not get any sort of Garmin...
  • I use "Map my run for keeping count of miles/Calories etc (I do quite a bit of jogging as well) and wanted something that downloads routes i've done directly.
  • i use the garmin forerunner on the bike , either on the handlebars or wrist , works well ives me all the data I need , not needed the mapping system , made it cheaper , the hrm works well for me both cycling and the odd run.

I got mine off amazon but worth trawling round to find best deal , if you can get a cadence sensor thrown in does all the basic stats and v simple to download.
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    nferrar wrote:
    Yeah the massive difference between the 200 and 500 is surely the courses? I have a 705 and 500 and use both for following routes - the 500's breadcrumb trail is surprisingly easy to follow on-road and fine for navigating unfamiliar roads. I didn't think the 200 had any course display?
    No the 200 has exactly the same course functionality as the 500.

IMG_2096_thumb1.jpg
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Put it on the stem, for goodness sake. Could that be in a more irritating position?

Any way, I wouldn't get either.

Save your cash and get this.

http://www.holux-uk.co.uk/holux-gpsport-260.php?it=356&ca=53&p=1&so=0

Available with cadence and HRM too

http://www.holux-uk.co.uk/holux-gpsport-260-pro-plus.php?it=354&ca=53&p=1&so=0

Both considerably cheaper than Garmin 500 and do almost exactly same job.

Mountable on the stem too.
  • Godders1 wrote:

No the 200 has exactly the same course functionality as the 500.

Does the 200 have this screen in the courses function? I couldn't see it in any of the manuals. I like the fact that you can see how far it is to the turns, although you have to add them in manually when you set up your course.

Neil Pryde Bura SL
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • cwm
    cwm Posts: 177
    jim453 wrote:
    Put it on the stem, for goodness sake. Could that be in a more irritating position?

Any way, I wouldn't get either.

Save your cash and get this.

http://www.holux-uk.co.uk/holux-gpsport-260.php?it=356&ca=53&p=1&so=0

Available with cadence and HRM too

http://www.holux-uk.co.uk/holux-gpsport-260-pro-plus.php?it=354&ca=53&p=1&so=0

Both considerably cheaper than Garmin 500 and do almost exactly same job.

Mountable on the stem too.

just ordered the holux 260,seems to cover my needs,great price and thanks for the link,and it will go on the stem :)
    now sharing my plods on
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/cwm
  • Does the Holux work with Strava, Endomondo and Map my run?
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,974
    edited February 2012
    Does the Holux work with Strava, Endomondo and Map my run?

It works with Strava... don't know about the others. For Strava you export the run from Holux's software as a gpx file and upload. I've got the Holux GPSport 260 Pro with HRM and cadence. The gpx file doesn't pick up these measurements so they don't get into Strava. Holux's own software shows these measurements for analysis.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • I'd go second hand and get an 800. I went through this exact predicament with the 200 and 500, basically to replace my Halfords wireless computer as I was running that and Strava on my HTC and wanted something that did both BUT would also guide me around a course that I could upload to the unit.

I was about the buy a brand new 500 base unit until a barely used 800 came up for sale with brand new premium Garmin HRM. The owner just couldn't get on with it as he preferred his old 705.

I uploaded the latest openstreetmaps UK to it and it's brilliant. It's routable and does everything I could possibly ever want and was an £30 over the price of a 500. For me, another big seller is that it offers full guidance which I tried to convince myself I wouldn't need. I then thought it would come in handy for meeting club runs at different points if I wanted to go straight from work, or if I did the Manchester to Blackpool run this year and then as a spur of the moment decide to run back to Manchester. Or if I didn't fancy uploading a strict course to follow and decided to just have a blast out in the country, I could rely on it to guide me home turn-by-turn asap at the press of a couple of buttons.

Another option I looked at was the Bryton 50, that looks impressive too and Strava will be supported direct uploads from that like they do with Garmin very soon. You don't want to be hooking up your device every night and then pulling off GPX files to then manually upload them. It's a little tedious.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    It's very quick and easy, not tedious at all.

Not quite as slick as the Garmin but much much much cheaper. No brainer.
  • dabber
    jim453 wrote:
    It's very quick and easy, not tedious at all.

Not quite as slick as the Garmin but much much much cheaper. No brainer.

I agree with Jim. Very easy and takes very little time.

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • cwm
    holux on strava
    used the holux today for 1st time and does all i need and i managed to upload to strava,so it cant be that difficult
    :)

works on edmondo aswell aslong as saved as .gpx as with strava
    now sharing my plods on
  • You could save yourself some dosh by using the GPS on your iPhone or Android and link it to Mapmyride.com. Automatically loads data onto site and you can produce map/satalite views. Pretty cool and if you have a smart phone, will cost you nothing.Then just by a budget speedometer.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Cool4catz wrote:
    You could save yourself some dosh by using the GPS on your iPhone or Android and link it to Mapmyride.com. Automatically loads data onto site and you can produce map/satalite views. Pretty cool and if you have a smart phone, will cost you nothing.Then just by a budget speedometer.

As long as you are doing a very short ride (battery life and all that)......... And that assumes you have a smart phone to start with.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cwm
    Rolf F wrote:
    Cool4catz wrote:
    You could save yourself some dosh by using the GPS on your iPhone or Android and link it to Mapmyride.com. Automatically loads data onto site and you can produce map/satalite views. Pretty cool and if you have a smart phone, will cost you nothing.Then just by a budget speedometer.

As long as you are doing a very short ride (battery life and all that)......... And that assumes you have a smart phone to start with.

my kids have got a smart phone,i should have borrowed theirs.

oh yeh,i'm still paying for theirs on a monthly basis,but i paid £85 for my holux and thats it.
    now sharing my plods on
  • SXI82
    SXI82 Posts: 30
    For those that have bought the Holux would they recommend it to others?

Currently looking at a garmin 200 but noticed that the Holux came out well in one of the latest cycling mags.
  • dabber
    I've got the Holux GPSport 260 Pro Plus. The Pro version has the ANT+ capability and gives connectivity to Heart Rate Monitor and Cadence Sensor. The Plus package of this comes with both of these items - HRM and Cadence Sensor. Mine also came with a second bike mount but it looks like they aren't doing that anymore.
    http://www.holux-uk.co.uk/holux-gpsport-260-pro-plus.php?it=340&ca=53&p=1&so=0

I've had it a few weeks and so far I'm very pleased. It's easy to use and setup. I've started using it to upload rides to Strava and that works well. The Holux software is fine if a bit clunky. I don't think I'll be using their ezTour Planner software to preplan rides to upload to the device as I don't find it very good so I'll probably create routes like that using something like MapmyRide or RidewithGPS.

All in all... to get the GPS plus the HRM and cadence senor for £139.95 I think is a no brainer.

• I don't have a smart phone. So i'll probaby go for the holux. ButI'm using Map My Run at present and would like to stick with it, I'm going to look to see if it all speaks to each other. Thanks for the replies
  • SXI82
    SXI82 Posts: 30
    I have gone for the basic pro version of the Holux, already have an ANT+ HRM and can always add a cadence sensor later if needed. Looking forward to it arriving :)