Cavendish Sky train

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited February 2012 in Pro race
Short video

http://video.gazzetta.it/ciclismo/news/index.shtml

I'm sure Cav will have the train he needs.
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    If he can get his weight off that is...
    http://www.teamsky.com/gallery/0,27401, ... ml#photo=2

He looked like that at this time of the year last year so I wouldn't rule him out yet!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    He's breathing...
    He actually looks leaner than he has ever done at the start of a season IMO

I mean, look how fat Evans looks here mid season, he'll never do well!

Cadel03-copy.jpg
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Bernie's developed himself a really strange accent!!! ;)

Anyone up for a sweepstake on how many "Cav is too fat" posts we ll get this year? We could also have a few more categories...

"Greipel will be too fast,"
    "Andy Schleck looks backward too much,"
    "Contador should nt be racing"

...any more?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Is that Appollonio his lead out man then?
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    I would not be so sure on any of them that "Need to Loose Weight" -

From what I can see those pics look more like Diaphragmatic breathing.
    Diaphragmatic breathing, abdominal breathing, belly breathing or deep breathing is breathing that is done by contracting the diaphragm, a muscle located horizontally between the chest cavity and stomach cavity. Air enters the lungs and the belly expands during this type of breathing.
    This deep breathing is marked by expansion of the abdomen rather than the chest when breathing. It is considered by some to be a healthier and fuller way to ingest oxygen
    cartoon.jpg
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    That's what my singing teacher told me......
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    The breathing thing. Watch the video carefully for a perfect example... When Appollonio peels off to let Cav sprint watch Appollonio's stomach... It's at about 2:10 - 2:12 in the video.

These guys are putting in a shift, they need to breathe... hard!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    For sure he's not as lean as he could be. Then again, it is January.

Don't look at his stomach, look at his face.

He's a strange one. He never has that gaunt leanness that all other pros have. Doesn't even have that extreme muscle definition that most pros have.

I've seen guys on club runs who look more cut than he does.

Then again, he's f*cking good and wins the biggest races almost at will. *shrugs*

More surprisingly, Cancellara looks very skinny in that Boonen pic on the Qatar thread.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Then again, he's f*cking good and wins the biggest races almost at will. *shrugs*

This. I look more the athlete than Cavendish does... by a distance. But that's where any [cycling] trump I have over him ends!

Some of us are more statuesque than others - that's life [that's what all the people say] - but it means very little (nothing?) when sat on the bike and calling on the lungs, heart and muscles to deliver us to the line.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ben6899 wrote:

This. I look more the athlete than Cavendish does... by a distance. But that's where any [cycling] trump I have over him ends!

Some of us are more statuesque than others - that's life [that's what all the people say] - but it means very little (nothing?) when sat on the bike and calling on the lungs, heart and muscles to deliver us to the line.
    I guess there's the inevitable wonder...

What if he is actually fatter than his rivals and winning? What if he really hit the losing weight hard and got really cut?

That's why you get guys like Cippo telling him to put the fork down.
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Well the kid did well today and won an amazing sprint finish... Gut or no gut - he's a winner in rainbow stripes.
  • napoleond
    He's been working hard at his nutrition and it shows. He's definitely leaner. I'm sure he's going to have a proper chance at MSR and GV this year.

tour-of-qatar-2012-st1-mark-cavendish-signs-i_2713442.jpg
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    edited February 2012
    LOL, that's me behind Cav filming on Sunday. He is defo leaner than in previous years, reckon he'll do a good MSR.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Islwyn wrote:
    Well the kid did well today and won an amazing sprint finish... Gut or no gut - he's a winner in rainbow stripes.
    he looked good today - no fuss no panic, much calmer than the mad Brit on the LHS with 20m to got going loopy
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • napoleond
    Nice one Phil :)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    fat or not , he`s going pretty quick . won again today.
  • It's probably a good job he's quick as the Sky train looked in disarray today.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,558

No point in Sky showing their hand too early for the season.

The HTC train thrived by showing the other teams they would completely dominate the last kms and lead out, but they were made to do insane amounts of work because of it. They coped because their train was truly awesome, and they gained a psychological advantage because of it.

Sky aren't likely to be in that position. We know any train for Cav will also have to be balanced with working for the GC. I'm sure they'll be able to put a decent train together when they need to, but it's far better for them to pick their moments. They need the train to be good enough to win, but not so good that no-one thinks they can compete and so leaves them to do all the work.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    For the first month that Cav and Renshaw were racing together they were a bit of a shambles and some were saying that he'd find it harder without Ciolek (who naturally was likely to beat him). So I'd wouldn't worry too much.
    Twitter: @RichN95