Severe thigh pain (quads?) while running

jim453
jim453 Posts: 1,360
edited October 2016 in Road beginners
Ok, firstly, I realise this is probably posted in the wrong place. This part of the forum gets more views than the training section so I'm putting it here. Secondly, don't tell me to go to a doctor, I know that's what I should do and I will when I get the chance. I'm just interested to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Primarily I'm into cycling and do a moderate amount of miles. Probably about one hundred to one hundred and fifty miles per week. Not loads but some. I also like to do a bit of running, but less seriously. I like to do ten or twenty kilometres every now and again. Recently I've been experiencing some awful thigh muscle pain which begins as a very dull and distant ache and ends up as terrible screaming pain, particularly if I try to run through it, which I invariably do. The first time it happened I was just out walking with my dog and it started whilst I was heading downhill. I evevtually had to stop walking and try to stretch my thigh muscles. It was agony. Then nothing for a while and now the last two times I've been out running I've had to walk/hobble back. Today I wasn't even doing hills, just five miles along the beach on the hard sand.

This is really doing my head in. Front of thighs are now sore to touch and lifting my knee up causes a lot of pain in the muscle. I never get any pain while cycling even when pushing and maintaining twenty mph average over fifty miles in North Devon, and it's not flat.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's ever experienced anything similar.

Thank you.

Comments

• Stick to cycling, it hurts less
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Jim,

I suggest you start off by resting [from running] and take it from there. This could be anything - you need to remember that your quads are used for stability as well as propulsion so check your running shoes are suitable/not knackered.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    A long time ago I used to do a lot of running...mostly offroad, fell type stuff.

For the last two or so years though I've been almost exclusively on the bike.

The week before last I decided to try and mix up my training a bit and do a short run. By short, I do mean short...just over 2 miles albeit up a big hill, down the other side then back over it again. I took it easy and paced myself...no worries.

Next day my thighs were sore as anything...not quite the pain you describe but very sore and I could feel it when I used my legs at all and especially during my bike rides.

It's taken just over a week for the residual soreness to disappear so that I can put some effort in (riding) without feeling the pain.

I can only guess it must be to do with being conditioned to ride for so long and then the legs (thighs) having to take all the mechanical shocks that are involved in running.

I'm tempted to try the run again just to see if that was truly the cause but must admit I don't like the thought of suffering again. :D
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • jim453
    Thank you for the help/advice so far.

I'm wondering if the pain may be due to some kind of muscle imbalance in my legs. The cycling ones may be taking over a bit and causing issues when running. Any way I've had enough of it. I'm going to knock the running on the head for now and try and see a professional if time allows. Shame, I rather enjoy running but I can easily do without the pain.
  • The symptoms you describe are almost identical to the problems I have experienced for some years now if I try to do any running.

I have had all sorts of examinations and tests done and the diagnosis made was chronic exercise induced compartment syndrome - in my case probably brought on by cycling related over-development of the vastus medialis muscle group. The syndrome is much more common in the calf muscle, but can occur in the thigh muscles too and as you say, the pain is absolutely excruciating when it really kicks in. This is due to the increased pressure inside the muscle sheath cutting off the blood supply to the area affected - the pain is a warning to stop, otherwise you will do some very serious damage to the tissues and potentially to your internal organs due to the extensive cell damage.

Unfortunately, the only cure is to have some pretty radical surgery to open up the muscle fascia (a fasciotomy), which I decided against and accepted that I would have to give up running. Thankfully, cycling doesn't usually bring on the symptoms except when I have had a long lay off. I also find that using a post ride 'pressure roll' of the quads over a foam cylinder helps stop the symptoms developing.

Good luck.
  • jim453
    Thank you. I've just read a very interesting and unsettling article on 'compartment syndrome'. It is possible that this is what I've been experiencing. Perhaps I shouldn't be trying so hard to run 'through' it. In fact, perhaps I should not be running at all.

I'm going to seek the advice of a doctor asap.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    I trained for a Half Marathon last year, crammed the training into a 3 month window. I really suffered with my knees once I passed the 60 mins point, but fitness wise I was fine. Did the usual stuff, new trainers with custom insoles, setup on a running machine with a motion capture camera etc. Also did Glute strengthening work to try and aid stabilisation.

I think the issue is that your body isn't used to running. The impact of running takes a lot out of your body and it takes a long time for your body to adjust and harden up.

I'm no expect but spoke to a few seasoned runners about my knee and muscle pain while training for the Half Marathon,

All runners stated the same.... you should start with running more more than 1-2 miles jogging pace, and increasing no more than 10% speed or distance per week (but not both), ideally running at least twice a week. This is not about your fitness levels, but giving your body time to adapt to running. The faster you run, the more impact your body has to deal with.

I personally don't really like running that much, so committing to running twice is a real struggle. I can run 5-10k without any training; my knees/muscles will ache afterwards, but it's bearable and they recover pretty quickly, which is what I do. I think if you want to run longer distances, you really have to keep up regular mileage.

I think for the unfit occasional runner (who never seem to suffer knee pain), their fitness is what holds them back and avoids injury.

I'm no expert but have talked at length to many runners about this (trying to look for a solution that doesn't involve committing to regular running), but their opinions all were pretty much identical. I mentioned about my trainers and the difference they make; they will help the situation (as well as the Glute work), but the underlying problem is that your body isn't used to running.

But it does obviously depend on how much running you've done over the years, and how 'regular' you are currently running.
    Simon
  • C'mon Jim, dont try to run thru pain, it only gets worse. pain is your warning symptom telling you there's something wrong!

Running uses the same muscle groups in almost opposite motion to your cycling, so a v good idea to balance your musculature by doing some. Riding is non weight bearing, so the forces just dont compare to running. When you run, downhill in particular, the forces can be up to 200 times your bodyweight thru your knees, and therefore quads. Esp if you are stretching out your pace to get some speed in the downhill sections.

With all your riding, you'll be a fit guy with good endurance, good aerobic engine and a high pain threhold, which you apply to your running. So of course, you are immediately overtraining your quads and they are telling you to slow it down a bit. It could be compartment syndrome, but its more likely that you've just overdone it. I'm an (ex) Sports Therapist, and what I think you've got is plain old DOMS - but mega-DOMS.

So before you scare yourself into a self- diagnosis, rest off the running and go see the physio to treat the micro-tears in your quads that are giving rise to the pain. Be diligent with the exercises & stretches the physio sets you and dont quack yourself or rush it. Muscle tears take a bit of time but will heal completey if you're careful.

When you start running again, start as a beginner and build up. It will feel ridiculously easy but you are only as strong as your weakest link and you are giving it a chance to catch up. Also read up on techniques for hill running, esp focus on downhill: short strides, high heels kickback, upright torso, soft knees, forefoot landing: utilising all your shock absorbtion mechanisms to spare your quads from the full forces.

You'll be running 10 -20K again no probs come the summer.
  • jim453
    What a wonderfully insightful, considered and helpful reply. Thank you Jane and every one else who has offered their advice.

I'm sure you're probably right. I set off expecting to do a hilly 10k in 40 minutes despite not having run for six weeks and wonder why my legs hurt, then get so annoyed about it that I try run it off. Stupid.

I'm off the running for a while and will climb back in gently and regularly enough to let my legs become used to the punishment when I come back. For now it's about the bike.

Thank you again.
  • You're welcome. Keep those quads moving and do lots of pain-free and not forced stretching in the meantime, ie 5 times / day, simple stuff. It will encourage any scar tissue forming to form in a linear pattern similar to the linear pattern of the muscle fibre, and minimise reoccurence in future. My mum lives in Cornwall, and my favourite run is hilly to Crackington Haven. First time I did it, I really extended thru the long and lovely downhill stretch into the vilage and shredded my quads in the process, so I've felt your pain!
  • SLN57
    SLN57 Posts: 69
    Jim

I had exactly the same problem on holiday last year when, in order to maintain some of my cardio fitness, I decided to do some running. My legs are quite well adapted to cycling, (two years and about 12000 miles) but not running.

I thought that I had torn my quads to shreds after about 500 yards and could hardly walk back to where I had started. However, I'm not one to give up and after four attempts, with a days recovery in between each run and longer distances covered, I managed to jog 3 miles at a reasonable pace.

I did vow to run once a week but I cycle too much and can't be bothered, anyway running hurts my knees.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    @slowlanejane:
    Thanks. Very good informative post with a good explanation :D
    Simon
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    I get that when doing lots of training. When I go back to hill walking or running the fronts of my quads sieze very painfully. There's little to be done about it for me other than to gently step up the walking/running mileage over a period of weeks and avoid the problem in the first place by lots of cross training.

If there's an answer, lets hear it please (apart from surgery :( )
  • boblo wrote:
    I get that when doing lots of training. When I go back to hill walking or running the fronts of my quads sieze very painfully. There's little to be done about it for me other than to gently step up the walking/running mileage over a period of weeks and avoid the problem in the first place by lots of cross training.

If there's an answer, lets hear it please (apart from surgery :( )

You have your answer! Human body's not a machine.
  • I know this is a really old post and might not get a response but it would be nice to know what the long term outcome of this was?

I'm having very similar problems!

Thanks.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    The OP has not been active since: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:20 pm so doubtful you'll get the feedback you want.
  • Yes I realise that, hence- "I know this is a really old post and might not get a response".. But feedback from someone having this problem a few years ago would be very useful so worth a shot!
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    I dunno if this might help. I used to run (1/2 marathons) and found that when running I sweated much more than on the bike. Whether that was because I was running slower and thus less evaporation I don't know. However I found I was much more likely to get cramp (in my case in the calves) when running than when cycling. I eventually worked out that I was taking on more fluid/electrolyte when cycling which was preventing the cramping. Could it be that you are experiencing something similar and that an increase in intake might help?
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • Thanks for the response but I don't think its the same no. I've had the problem very early in a run, in the first mile as soon as I run downhill and I've made sure my fluid and salt intake has been good. I think its something do with muscle use being opposite when you run down hill compared to cycling. I've increased my cycling this year to 100/150 miles a week road/mtb but also ran a trail marathon in the summer. I've dropped off the running since then and seem to be getting worse, maybe because my cycling muscles are getting stronger and running weaker.

I've reached the same point the original poster was at, time to give up running maybe! But would have been very interesting to know if he resolved his problems.

Thanks..
  • mrelston
    mrelston Posts: 5

You're welcome. Keep those quads moving and do lots of pain-free and not forced stretching in the meantime, ie 5 times / day, simple stuff. It will encourage any scar tissue forming to form in a linear pattern similar to the linear pattern of the muscle fibre, and minimise reoccurence in future. My mum lives in Cornwall, and my favourite run is hilly to Crackington Haven. First time I did it, I really extended thru the long and lovely downhill stretch into the vilage and shredded my quads in the process, so I've felt your pain!

Hi @slowlanejane - this is a very old chat, so you may not be active here anymore... but I have exactly the same problem. Do you think the quad muscle actually tears in this situation? With 2 days complete rest I can run again, but then randomly re occurs. It’s different to other muscle tears I’ve experienced...but just as painful. So pleased, in a way, that others describe exactly my issue. Thanks in advance for any insight!
  • navrig2
    If it is a burning, pins and needles sensation then in could be this:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/meralgia-paresthetica/symptoms-causes/syc-20355635#:~:text=your upper leg.-,Meralgia paresthetica is a condition characterized by tingling, numbness and,skin surface of your thigh.

I get this walking and standing but not cycling. It hurts like hell eventually.
  • navrig2
    Ooops, very old post