wheel not aligned?

hammy7272
hammy7272 Posts: 236
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi i had my first attempt at truing my back wheel whilst still in the frame. It runs true but now scrapes against the brake caliper. It doesn't look further over? Is it possible it is
dished over to the right? If so how do i correct without a dishing tool? Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    hammy7272 wrote:
    Hi i had my first attempt at truing my back wheel whilst still in the frame. It runs true but now scrapes against the brake caliper. It doesn't look further over? Is it possible it is
    dished over to the right? If so how do i correct without a dishing tool? Thanks

Explain?
    What brake. What is touching?

Sounds like you need to dish it correctly. (presuming disc caliper and spoke contact).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Sorry. The disc is rubbing on the right side of the caliper from behind as you look. I have tried loosening the caliper and pumping the brake ?
  • nicklouse
    Sounds like the wheel needs dishing correctly.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Thanks i thought so. Any good tips for dishing without a proper tool? Also the spokes i need to tighten to pull it over are already very tight any tips?
  • nicklouse
    Slacken of the other side.

Keep flipping the wheel in the drop outs.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    The disc is attached to the hub, the hub is held in place by the dropouts. Unless the spokes were hitting the caliper then, correct me if I'm wrong but, it's nothing to do with the dish of the wheel or spoke tension.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • nicklouse
    Now it seems that there are two issues. The wheel on the caliper and the disc on the calliper?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    hammy7272 wrote:
    Sorry. The disc is rubbing on the right side of the caliper from behind as you look. I have tried loosening the caliper and pumping the brake ?
    Nothing to do with dishing surely, the disc mounts to the hub to the axle to the frame.....to the adaptor to the calliper.

Have you centred the calliper?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yep centered caliper as best i could. However the rubber rings are worn on the caliper could this pull it over? It is only the disc rubbing. Thanks for the replies
  • nicklouse
    hammy7272 wrote:
    Yep centered caliper as best i could. However the rubber rings are worn on the caliper could this pull it over? It is only the disc rubbing. Thanks for the replies
    Err what?

What brakes?

So nothing to do with you adjusting the wheel.
  • To add. If i lift the axle on the left side slightly up out of the drop out the disc runs free in the caliper gap.
  • Im not sure if it is the wheel or not!?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    lifting out = bike upside down I assume as you usually lift a wheel into the dropouts! Is that bike left (non drive side - disc side?) Photo's I think as we'll go round and round on this until we go down the plug hole!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The disc also rubs on the caliper mount if that paints a better picture? Yes the non drive side lifted up out which way you look at it seems to centre it?
  • nicklouse
    Pics.

Make of hub.
    Make of brake.

And what have you actually been doing.

As the problems mentioned can not be caused by trueing your wheel.
  • nicklouse
    Looks like it has been rubbing for ages.

Remove wheel push pistons home. Re fit wheel slacken off bolts and re set. Tighten bolts.

If the problem is still there you will have a sticky/slow piston.

Strip and clean and put back together.
  • O.K great thanks for your help. It has been rubbing for ages!
  • O I see the right piston might be stuck thus pushing the disc over?
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    And I wouldn't be buying used parts from you...
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • Ha ha ha i don't blame you. That's why my stuff is knackered !