XC Race bike £3000

campbellrae1
campbellrae1 Posts: 182
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Been looking for a new race bike for this season as my current Scott Scale is getting pretty tired! Budget will be between £2000 and £3000. So, I have been looking at the Scott Scale 29 Pro first off all, but I can get a good price on anything from Scott, Trek and Giant as well as a few of the smaller brands like Niner, Intense, Pivot, Tomac etc through my LBS!

I'm really unsure of what to go for but I think getting a really good frame is key, hence the Scott being the first thing I looked at as the rest of the kit can be upgraded easily. Would also like a good fork to start with as well. Doesn't have to be a hardtail, or 29er, I'm pretty open to suggestions! Haven't raced on the MTB for a few years now so I'm well aware that things will have changed a lot! The courses I will be racing tend to be tight, steep and technical rather than open and fast. I'm 6'5 and 90-95kgs, so it's got to be strong!

Any suggestions/riders views would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Campbell.
Custom spec Scott Scale
Custom spec Salsa Fargo
Custom spec Scott CR1
Scott Speedster S1

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd take a look ath this:

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... tml?b=2549

9.1kg!

Though I dare say you could build up a lighter bike form scratch for less. Say an OnOne Whippet frame, SIDs, A2Z hubs and a mix and match groupset.
  • Giant Anthem X1 awesome XC bike and light my mate has one and it's superb
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Are you limited to the brands the LBS carry - or is it just that they will do a good deal on those?

Scale 29er is a good shout, or the Trek Superfly Elite, which is slightly over budget for a comparator.

Otherwise I'd be tempted to build on a Whippet frame - XT groupset (or even XTR) from Germany, SIDs, some nice light wheels and some decent finishing kit - check out Mt Zoom, they do excellent lightweight race kit for sensible money.
  • I can get a really good deal on what they carry, basically trade price, so the £3000 budget is really only for stuff they carry! It will also apply to groupsets etc, so I could always get a frame and build one up!
    Custom spec Scott Scale
    Custom spec Salsa Fargo
    Custom spec Scott CR1
    Scott Speedster S1
  • njee20
    So are we talking £3000 retail (which you'll get cheaper), or £3000 at trade?

Difficult budget really - if you look at the frames they have access to it'll all be high end, and you won't come in under budget. I'd be tempted to get a Scale Expert and change to high end bits - cheap way to get a carbon Scale frame.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Spesh epic is the quickest bike in the world? Won the world cup and world championship 2011. You can get the comp carbon for about £3k.
  • Sorry for not making it clear, £3000 retail. And I agree with you, it is quite an awkward budget, but it's all I'm being allowed by the missus, even that much is a bit of a push for her to allow :lol:!
    Custom spec Scott Scale
    Custom spec Salsa Fargo
    Custom spec Scott CR1
    Scott Speedster S1
  • njee20
    Go and try a few, see what you like. Quite a difference between 29er hardtail and 26" FS after all!

29ers are certainly going to be big in racing this season, make of that what you will...
  • mattv wrote:
    Spesh epic is the quickest bike in the world? Won the world cup and world championship 2011. You can get the comp carbon for about £3k.

It's the rider that wins the race not the bike as at this level there all quality machines
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB